Valve clearance

Ryanstones

ooooops

#1 Post by Ryanstones »

Well I learned today that the counter man who gave me my valve clearances was mistaken. Spoke with the owner, who is also the main mechanic this a.m. and he informed me that the actual clearances were .000 and .003 intake, and .015 exhaust. he also found the intake valves were damaged by what looked like preignition/detonation. there was something else about those valves but i can't remember just now.
So, maybe you guys ought not let adjustment go for as long as i did!
FWIW. smile.gif

Ryanstones

#2 Post by Ryanstones »

I have no idea what the mechanic saw. My dealer is 100 miles away so i haven't seen my motor in a month sad.gif
Excessive hours (yea I know they recomend 25 hours tongue.gif ) is likely the cause for the out of spec clearances i'm sure. Did you read the whole thread? She has never overheated on me or even seemed hot. Been a great quad! Seemed like the time for an overhaul and I guess it was rolleyes.gif
You do sound like you know what you are talking about '44, thanks for the input. When I get the parts back i'll post a pic. Hopefully the backorder valves will come soon. The new sleeve and piston are in.
fingers crossed

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Ryanstones,
Do you have the original motor in your quad?Judging by your serial I think you would have the first generation motor, cable clutch,500ecm,gold silencer.
I suspect the compression ratio was lowered on the 2nd gen motor with the piston change.The first motors were right on the edge when using premium gas as far as preignition is concerned never heard of it pitting the valves usually the piston will get the damage but I suppose it could happen.Either way I think your mechanic is doing the right thing replacing the valves since your wear as indicated by the clearances is excessive.(I have quite a bit of racing all year my intake was .001 tight and exhaust were right on).You will have a updated motor when he is done.

Ryanstones

#4 Post by Ryanstones »

yes it is an original motor. sure has been golden too. I hope the rebuild will be as reliable. I'll get you those pics soon i hope.

Ryanstones

cr8ek

#5 Post by Ryanstones »

It came with an 8 and i didn't change it til like 120 hours! hehe
I know, i oughta take better care of my chit! rolleyes.gif

NRath

#6 Post by NRath »

At $8 each, I'm not changing the plug till it's giving me a problem! I do have spares in the toolbox for that occasion, though.

rowlrag

#7 Post by rowlrag »

I didn't know the made an 8, is it an NGK like stock?

Ryanstones

#8 Post by Ryanstones »

Hey charlito! Yea pretty funny allright. sad.gif
If I had adjusted them by the book I wouldn't be without my quad right now.
They did me no favors by discouraging my inquiries on adjustment.
I'm backordered on valves right now. Damage likely due to lack of maintenance! :confused:

BTW are you like proud of that auburn thing or what?? Good luck to your boys on Sat!! NOT! ROOOOOOOLLLLLL TIDDDDDDE

Ryanstones

#9 Post by Ryanstones »

sorry charlito, wife says i can't be talkin to you,

warped beagle!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif