Battery tray update

haydug

Battery tray update

#1 Post by haydug »

I have found a nice, simple way to perform the "battery box" update.

First, you will need a 10mm wrench, 10mm socket/small extension, and around 25 minutes of your time.
Second you will need 4: 6x25 bolts, 4 6mm flat washers, 4 new 6mm nuts.

You start be removing the battery completely, unbolt the positive and negative cables from the battery, then the bolt on each end of the "battery strap". It is easiest to remove this on the fuel pump side, and pull it out along with the battery.
Now it is time to pull the 4 bolts out of your battery tray. They should be 10mm on both ends, using the socket to hold the bolt head in the battery tray.

Once removed, you clean everything up, and start the process.
This is a good time to check for the battery pads that should be in your tray, and on the strap.I also will drill some holes in the bottom of the tray, to allow the dirt to fall out.

haydug

#2 Post by haydug »

Now, install the 4 new longer bolts into the battery tray. Then, place 2 washers on each of the "rearward" bolts and tighten down a nut. Then install the remaining 2 bolts in the "foward" facing holes, without washers, and tighten the nuts.

You should end up with this:

haydug

#3 Post by haydug »

Now, re-install everything, and look at how the battery is "tilted" foward away from the engine case.
You then re-use your orginal nuts to tighten up the battery tray to the frame.

This setup also have another benefit. If you need to pull the battery tray, you no longer need to pull the battery first. Simply pull the 4 nuts on the bottom of the frame, and pull the battery/tray/strap out as one unit.

You are after this desired affect: (Notice the "lean" of the battery)

Eatndirt

#4 Post by Eatndirt »

Cool
:clap:

Derno24

#5 Post by Derno24 »

Never even thought of that one Doug. Excellent write up.smile.gif

gnccblaze440

#6 Post by gnccblaze440 »

same thing i did along with some rubber strips...

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Nice!That will save some time for sure.

Delaware152

#8 Post by Delaware152 »

I have done the same thing. Makes changing the battery fast. I think I may know who gave him this idea. If he shows you the hight dollar engine jack I know he is stealing my ideas!! lol

quadprorider

#9 Post by quadprorider »

Originally posted by Delaware152
I have done the same thing.  Makes changing the battery fast.  I think I may know who gave him this idea.  If he shows you the hight dollar engine jack I know he is stealing my ideas!! lol

Look who it is........How's it going there stranger? Long time no see!