D&M help. Offsets?

jtracker

#1 Post by jtracker »

Starts up pretty good but suddenly dies. Going to check the coolant temp sensor. If that is good I forgot which way to offset the throttle setting.

Is it the throttle and not the injector offset I am supposed to change or did I forget that too? Thanks.

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

Stalls soon after it lights up or after a while? Is it like it is not enough gas or kind of like with a puff of black smoke like too much gas?
For every one I have been around when it is chilly like in the 40's or 50's one stall right after it fires is a given and maybe two stalls when it is colder seems the norm. I wonder if a little fine tuning could fix that so I will be interested in what responses you get also.
The problem with playing with the flow rate is that it effects it thru the whole rpm range, so it may help here but hurt everywhere else. Possibly a little tweaking on the offset might help.

jtracker

#3 Post by jtracker »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Jan 17 2008, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stalls soon after it lights up or after a while? Is it like it is not enough gas or kind of like with a puff of black smoke like too much gas?
For every one I have been around when it is chilly like in the 40's or 50's one stall right after it fires is a given and maybe two stalls when it is colder seems the norm. I wonder if a little fine tuning could fix that so I will be interested in what responses you get also.
The problem with playing with the flow rate is that it effects it thru the whole rpm range, so it may help here but hurt everywhere else. Possibly a little tweaking on the offset might help.

Well I started it up a couple days ago to change the oil. My battery is junk and I used my truck to jumpstart it. I started it took the cables off and let it run while I went back inside. After maybe 5 min. it just died. So I figured the battery is junk and it wont even keep charging. I got is started again but left the truck running and cables hooked up after maybe 1 min. it died again. Then waited 30 sec. and started it again. This time it ran fine and probably would have ran out of fuel if I would of let it. Did the oil change. Started it the next day to check the oil and it died again after 15 seconds. So maybe it is just because it is cold and it is fine once it gets warm? It did pop a couple times while trying to start it too. I can't recall if there was a puff of black smoke. Now its acting like the plug fowled so I will see tonight when I get home from work. I have a race this weekend so I hope it stays running ohmy.gif

jtracker

#4 Post by jtracker »

Update. The spark plug is very wet and looks to be getting to much fuel. I took it out and cleaned it with a wire brush and put it back in and it tried to fire but it puffed out like a blue flame maybe 3 times then wouldnt fire again. Do I need to change the offset? Let me know which way to go with it. Thanks,
Justin

rayspeed

#5 Post by rayspeed »

Rule out other problems like junk battery and charging issue before you mess with the tuning. What does the voltage say with the D&M and the temp sensors? If you do tune...
You will want to go up with the number that you have now to make it leaner. First recieve all of your cals and write it down and compare it to the factory settings if you can. If your factory numbers are higher than somebody fattened it up too much and could be your problem. I would make changes of no more than 50, that should be enough to notice but not too much to be dangerous. What map do you have in there? Some maps gave more or less fuel depending on exhaust. If you have a stock map there you should be between 2450 and no leaner than 2600 with a stock exhaust and on the low side or lower with an aftermarket exhaust.