Even a shallow dimple liner can split

Nickc711

#11 Post by Nickc711 »

How does mine look..everything is well within spec, but it seems to be a semi-deep dimple?
also how does the wear on the inside look?

kdeal

#12 Post by kdeal »

OK, here is a crude drawing in "Paint" to describe the depth of the dimple. If you have a dimple made by anything on the drill bit picture below the "A" line, you are good. If you have anything above that line it is considered deep. I have seen some of them as deep as the "B" line. (Again this is porportional) If you see any of the "side" of the drill bit in the dimple bore, it is deeper than it should be. There has been some good luck moving the dimple to the intake side of the motor.

[attachment=5824:Dimple.JPG]

rayspeed

#13 Post by rayspeed »

That is a touch less deep than the one I had and you can still see the cross hatch in there over the wear so I would say that it is usable with some new rings and turning it 180. I have to admit to using much worse and it is still running today with over 200 dune hours on it and still going strong. So it is your call... these days I would just replace it for as cheap as they are... Dave has them with no dimple at all for cheaper than you might think for the whole kit.
Ray

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes still usable for sure. I would ball hone it though. And size piston and liner. Even if you get a new piston.

Nickc711

#15 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Feb 5 2008, 02:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is some pretty good pics of the liner.. notice that the dimple is no deeper then the point of a drill bit.
I run evans coolant and use no silicone on any of the liner seals, only an "O" ring lubricant. Twenty something hours on a ported 2.2 stroker.

I thought you were supposed to use silicon?

peterock

#16 Post by peterock »

Is there anyone out there that has had a liner (deep or shallow) fail that has had the hole towards the intake?