new cdale owner

kjenbg

#1 Post by kjenbg »

ok so i currently have an 03 kfx 400 a few blasterts banshee and couple bikes have never owned a c dale so i got it it runs but raps so loud you think its gonna blow up any ideas i heard they were very noisy motors but this is crazy still has all the power but i dont wanna ride it and blow it up thanks for any help

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Could be a bad crank if it's not updated. Try turning flywheel back and forth and see if you can pin point the noise a bit. Really if it's not an updated motor just pull it apart since it will need it anyway.

thedeatons

#3 Post by thedeatons »

So, before tearing into the engine, there are a few things you should know.

1)Cannondale used all straight cut gears in the engine. Every single gear you come across is straight cut, meaning a lot more gear noise, but also less power loss due to a helical gear cut.
2)Cannondale used magnesium covers for the cams (cam cover) and for the side cover (covers timing chain, tranny gear, etc.), which amplifies noise instead of deadening it.

There is a possibility you have something wrong, but typically they are simply a lot more noisy than other brands because of the two things I listed above. Was the person you bought it from a member of one of the Cannondale forums? If so can you try to get his member name and post it? If not, can you get a list of updates (both internal and external) that he performed to the quad/engine? This would help us to tell you what else needs to be done to make your engine as reliable as anything else out there. The more you can tell use the better.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

If you have a paper oil filter take it out and wrap it in a clean towel for an hour . Then take a flash light or cut it apart and check for metal flakes. If there are bits of steel chips then you might have a bearing going out. If you have a metal oil filter the bits will be easy to see. If its not making metal its most likey yuor just not used to the noisey engine. If a main bearing goes it will knock so you can hear it a lower throttle positions and idle.

Nickc711

#5 Post by Nickc711 »

there is a vid on youtube called the sounds of a cannondale...

here..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KDGTNMXWxX4&fmt=18