fx400

Trouble

#1 Post by Trouble »

Okay I decided to make the plunge despite everything I have seen with my own eyes and heard. I plan on picking up a FX in the morning and I wonder what else is there to watch for? I plan on doing the updated crank first thing and maybe the stud kit. I already plan on lots of headaches and frustration in getting this thing because after seeing my buddys trouble he had with his Cannibal I should know better. But I insist on being different (as I always was) so im going for it. I want to get it done but WHEN (I know they will) things don't go as planned I have my trusy Honda 426ex to ride. So I plan on crank upgrade,what else? thanx

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

There is a huge variety of features you will find among the FX400s.
They had 2 different cases, two different cranks, two different harnesses - ECU setups, etc....and those variations are just from the factory!, with many used machines having various things done since then.

Anyway, it's best to take misc. pictures; both sides of motor, ECU tray, top of motor, etc.... to really learn all of the differences compared to a stock 2002 Cannibal.

If you are still on the fence and have not decided?,.... just pick up the phone while standing next to the machine.

In any case, I would not hesitate to buy any Cannondale, and the FX400 is cool too -- no matter what the details.

Dachshund

#3 Post by Dachshund »

Welcome, I see you made it over here. Everything you will ever need to know is right here. Just curious where in OH are you? I'm tooling through Dayton now.

Trouble

#4 Post by Trouble »

I'm located in Hubbard,Oh, near Youngstown. Well I'll find out what is what tomorrow, I didn't know they had 2 different cases, I knew about the 500 series computer though while the later models had the 1000 series, well it should be interesting.

Trouble

#5 Post by Trouble »

I picked it up this morning,how do i know whats what?I hear this may have possibly 2 different cranks,is there a difference between the two as far as crank bearings go?I would like to get the parts ahead of time if i can but if there isnt a way of differentiating between the 2 until i tear it appart then i may hold off.The bike rips right now,lots of power,no smoke just the traditional cannondale "diesel" clatter..hehe Are the clutches the same for all years of the cannondale?The clutch is a bit soft for my liking but it still rips.

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

It probably still has the earlier weak clutch springs, and maybe even aluminum plates.

If you post external pictures here, or just pick up the phone, you can learn a LOT! fast, and should know some basic things BEFORE even draining and changing fluids.

Congrats on your purchase, but please be patient. I know of two motors killed, and one with a lost-in-motor
tranny filter........just in the past month!, by well-meaning new owners just doing a typical new-acquisition servicing. But the 'dale is not any machine, FYI, and some prior knowledge will prevent you from having to learn things the hard way.. Pick up the phone!...or email, do tons of web searches, or start snapping photos and posting here.

Welcome to our world!