engine removal

kdeal

#11 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Feb 17 2009, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kdeal, Im pretty sure I left the throttlebody hooked to the airbox and just removed it from the intake.

First time I removed mine I used the walkaway method a couple times. works good on the install too. sometimes just 4 or 5 minuits away from it makes things look simple. Ofcoarse accumulating the not so common tools that make things go easier helps also

Harold,

You are right. I usually leave the throttle body on the air box as well. It has been a little while since I had a quad with an air box that I pulled the motor on. I'm not bragging but Wistech and me pulled a motor in less than 30 minutes once while he was at my house. He did most of the work, but it can be dropped quickly. Putting it back in with a stock air box definitely takes a lot longer. Especially with me as I sit back and make sure everything is correct as I go.

MX Quad Dad

#12 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Now that I think about it, I don't think I was able to diconnect the throttle cable with the airbox in place. but, that may have been just me?

kdeal

#13 Post by kdeal »

Don't matter if you leave it stuck to the air box during engine removal.

Trouble

#14 Post by Trouble »

yeah i just left mine attached to the airbox.man i hope i can get this thing back together and running correctly,otherwise i'll end up with a 400lb paper weight. unsure.gif

speedracer

#15 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (Trouble @ Feb 18 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah i just left mine attached to the airbox.man i hope i can get this thing back together and running correctly,otherwise i'll end up with a 400lb paper weight. unsure.gif

Where are you located?Maybe someone is close that could help if needed.

rayspeed

#16 Post by rayspeed »

QUOTE (Trouble @ Feb 18 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everybody here had that thought at one time... plenty of help here to get you going later dont worry about it.

Trouble

#17 Post by Trouble »

yeah i should be alright,if i get time this weekend im gonna get the crank out...once i have the head and those 15 oil pump gears off first unsure.gif my yzf with the 5 valve head is gravy compared to this thing...

UpsMan

#18 Post by UpsMan »

Engine removal gets a lot easier the second time around. The hardest thing about the first time for me was that I wasn't sure how it was supposed to come out, so you have to figure it out as you go. After that, you know what you need to remove and what you don't need to, thereby saving a ton of time.

Trouble

#19 Post by Trouble »

The rod on the crank is a thing of beauty,i can tell its a billet piece,looks like it is new.Theres no slop what so ever ,no play up and down and i cant even twist it at all.When i started tearing it down,i noticed the staor side main bearings were toast,there was so much up and down play i cant believe it even ran,ran strong too.But it was a ticking time bomb though,i tore it down to update the crank but man it looks so good i almost hate to replace it because it "might" go out.After all the time involved to disassemble the motor though im gonna replace it to be safe but its hard,i emailed the owner who bought it new and he said it was never replaced...oh well.The quad does have the original tires on it though,about %50 i guess.I would be willing to bet theres not much time on this bike because of the crank condition,the fx400 does have a smaller stator side main bearing though thats why it failed.

flyinarmbar

#20 Post by flyinarmbar »

Hey guys, i'm almost done diconnecting everything from the motor. Peterock mentioned dropping the motor straight down, but on my 02' speed there is a skid plate welded underneath covering the motor. Unless you guys cut that out of there, then it has to be a problem. So its just three motor mounts, right? the two up front and the swingarm bolt. Am I correct? Do I need to heat up the exhaust to seperate it from the motor, or does it just need some "persuasion"? Also , should I disconnect the magura set-up from the side of the motor ot just unscrew the hose from the motor? Oh, and one more, I have the air box off and the throttle cable disconnected. When I put back together, do I need any special tools like a D&M kit to adjust the throttle? 1,2,3,4,and 5 questions, Sorry........ Thanks, you guys rule