engine removal

Trouble

#1 Post by Trouble »

I'm in the middle of pulling my motor in my fx400 and what a experience it is. I knew I would I would meet obstacles and road blocks but wow, I spent almost 2 hrs on it yesterday and I still don't have the motor out, almost but a few more odds and ends and zip ties..lol. Man to you guys that take your motor out often, you guys are hardcore. I'm sure it may get easier with enough practice but once I update this crank, I don't wanna take this thing out again. Just lots of hoses and stuff with no room for my large hands (i have man hands). I'm still looking at the exhaust pipe, I can't even see dem'bolts to take it off..lol
Well I guess these are the pains I'm gonna go through trying to earn my Cannondale, I still insist on being different so I'm gonna stay committed. It's nothing like my 250r was...lol

67z400

#2 Post by 67z400 »

Removing the engine isn't too bad. But it can be frustrating at time, I feel your pain mad.gif

The nuts for the exhaust pipe should come out better if you use a angled ratchet attachment. By the way make sure the rear shock is out of there. It will be easier to acess the nuts. Good luck.

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

Undo the top shock bolt, support the rear end up, and remove the bolt, move the shock back outta the way. Using a long extension and a pivot extension you can access those nuts. I use an air rachet and squeeze my man hands in there. Goes pretty well.

claas900

#4 Post by claas900 »

If there the stock exhaust nuts then it uses a 12point 8mm I think it is? I like to drop the motor an inch or two then take them off.

Trouble

#5 Post by Trouble »

I managed to get the motor out with the exhaust still attached...don't laugh it worked..hehe

speedracer

#6 Post by speedracer »

Watch out about posting how long it took you to pull your engine. Don't feel bad, I just pulled mine, it took 4 hours. But my back hurt, it was cold, I had oil on the ground, you know... wacko.gif

Trouble

#7 Post by Trouble »

Yeah I probably could have had it sooner, I was trying to not pull the radiator...didn't work I had to pull it blink.gif

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

Everybody laugh at Speedracer it took him 4 hours......just kiddin'

The first time you take a motor out by yourself it can take forever. Not to count problems from lack of maintenence. Wait until you have a frozen swingarm pivot, broken exhaust studs or stripped nuts, etc.

Once you know everything that has to be done, you will know what can stay in the frame, what has to come out, etc.

Just an FYI:

Radiator never has to come out of quad to remove or install the motor. (The exhaust was your problem). You do not have to pull the airbox to drop the motor. DRAIN all fluids before you do anything to make life easier. The exhaust stud nuts are the toughest part of the job. Follow Happyboy's instructions and find a 12 point 8mm socket (a 5/16" 12 point will work). Try and get it in 1/4" drive and get a 1/4" drive u-joint. Think of where the hoses would be easist to remove. Example: I leave all of the hoses on the radiator and bottle, the scavenge hose to the frame can be left on the motor. I find the biggest issues are what people forget to disconnect. Like the fuel injectors. I like to remove the 3mm nut on the FI clips and leave everything together without removing anything but the nuts and breaking the FI's loose. Don't forget to disconnect all electrical connections. (EDITED)

peterock

#9 Post by peterock »

Just like what KDeal said.....

I don't even waste time removing the nerf bars. Once the motor is dropped straight down, prop it up with a jack stand on one side and slide it out.

MX Quad Dad

#10 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Feb 17 2009, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't forget to disconnect all electrical connections (including the two on the throttle body).

Kdeal, Im pretty sure I left the throttlebody hooked to the airbox and just removed it from the intake.

First time I removed mine I used the walkaway method a couple times. works good on the install too. sometimes just 4 or 5 minuits away from it makes things look simple. Ofcoarse accumulating the not so common tools that make things go easier helps also