engine removal

MX Quad Dad

#21 Post by MX Quad Dad »

The engine cradle unbolts from the frame. Two (Allen) bolts each corner 8 total.

If you have three mounts........ One through the swing-arm and two separate bolts up front by the battery, this means you need an engine mount update....Whoever you by parts from (hope it's a site sponsor) should be able to set you up with it.

Four nuts hold the header to the head. Some times you have to do a little wiggling to get it off but be careful it has never taken me a lot of force to get one off and those studs are kinda small. And thats were it seems to hang up for me.

I pull the slave cylinder from the motor but make sure nobody pulls the clutch in while its off the motor. It will break the slave cylinder. Some people have a plate they bolt on it and some tape up the clutch lever to stop anyone who might have the urge to pull it in. Do a search on broke slave cylinder, I know there have been a few tips to prevent this.

I tend to leave the throttle body hanging from the air box cable and all. I would say if you hook it all back up it will run. but a D&M kit is a nessary tool in my opinion. and I do throttle cal as routine maintenance

flyinarmbar

#22 Post by flyinarmbar »

Thanks for the tips Dad. What would I do without you guys. Thanks, men.

NRath

#23 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (Trouble @ Feb 22 2009, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The rod on the crank is a thing of beauty,i can tell its a billet piece,looks like it is new.Theres no slop what so ever ,no play up and down and i cant even twist it at all.When i started tearing it down,i noticed the staor side main bearings were toast,there was so much up and down play i cant believe it even ran,ran strong too.But it was a ticking time bomb though,i tore it down to update the crank but man it looks so good i almost hate to replace it because it "might" go out.After all the time involved to disassemble the motor though im gonna replace it to be safe but its hard,i emailed the owner who bought it new and he said it was never replaced...oh well.The quad does have the original tires on it though,about %50 i guess.I would be willing to bet theres not much time on this bike because of the crank condition,the fx400 does have a smaller stator side main bearing though thats why it failed.

There's probably more than you think. But if it's all tight, I wouldn't replace it just for the heck of it. I'd say to send it to Tim and have him check it- might be lucky. Maybe you can get away with just replacing the rod bearing. Definitely cheaper than a complete crank. I'd split it for you for free, but it'll have to go to him to be put back together. So, there's not much benefit to sending it to me except to find out what you've got. You can measure the freeplay and get a good idea what it looks like in there.

I like to leave the engine in the cradle. Makes a good motor stand on the bench. When you need to get into the bottom end, just pivot it up on the 2 front bolts and put a large socket under it to hold it up. Works pretty good.

carlover

#24 Post by carlover »

ooooooh... u did a very hard work.... at first take some rest...check this hid headlight kits
A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business.
Henry Ford