Engine oil in airbox, I mean all of it!

ppogue

oil

#1 Post by ppogue »

Monkey,
my thoughts are two:
One, you didn't check your oil after you changed it last, even a little too much and the things blow oil all over the air filter and down the steering stem. Side note, this happens more if you are really gunning it. Second side note, not all bad as it lubes the piston.
Two, you might not have the oil case ventilation update. Mine pucked tons of oil out before I fixed that issue.
Have fun, the update sucks, but is worth it.

ppogue

oil

#2 Post by ppogue »

Hey Monkey,
I got it from the cdale webpage and its gone. Hopefully someone else reads this and helps you out. I totally forget what I even did.
sorry man,

Dale512

!

#3 Post by Dale512 »

I had the same problem. Turned out the small Bearing on my Intake Cam failed and made its way too the oil pump. I had to replace the Bearing & Oil Pump Gears.

LapTraffic

#4 Post by LapTraffic »

Do the simple thing first and get the oil vent update done. PM me your email address and I'll email you the bulletin. I have it on my computer here at work. 99% of the components for the update can be purchased at your local hardware store. I think the only thing that will have to be ordered is the repplacement oil drain plug and Maz or JVC440 can help you with that. Or you can just take your removed banjo fitting to the local Screw shop and have them make you a bolt with the thread pitch, length and diameter.

The update basically takes your vent overflow line from dumping into your airbox and reroutes it making it a closed loop system.

At high revs pressure would build in the crankcase and force oil up the vent line and into the airbox.

Fun stuff smile.gif

drbowtie

#5 Post by drbowtie »

Hmmmm,

If he does have an 03 C-Dale shouldn't he have the update already? Can you check to make certain that you don't have two small tubes you have just one large vent hose from the bottom of the crank case...

If you do have just one large one then you have the update and you have to look elsewhere.

haydug

#6 Post by haydug »

I have asked 4strokemadman and he said the oil hos update kit should fix the problem. If it does not fix it, let us know on here so we can try and correct the problem.

danyeo

#7 Post by danyeo »

I had something like that happen. First i was riding on Sunday for about 5 hours and all seemed fine, i was actually going for one last ride of the day when i started to backfire a few times. Thinking maybe i just bogged the enigine or something i opened it up for some 4th and 5th gear runs and it seemed ok. Then 10 minutes later the engine shut down on me and i rolled to a stop and i had oil all over my boots coming from around the air box. It won't crank over now, just clicks. It does roll in nuetral and rolls in first with the clutch in and the engine engages in first with the clutch out so the tranny seems ok. I don't have the stud update yet. Derno24 gave me a few suggestions. I have been very busy this week with cleaning after a move and work so i have not looked at the problem yet but will hopefully get to it within a day or 2. Any other pointers?

4strokemadman

#8 Post by 4strokemadman »

The hose update fixes oil puking out into the airbox. This problem happened at higher RPM operation. If you have the oil hose update and it is still happenening check the upper fitting that goes into the valve cover. There is a hose that goes from the frame spar to the valve cover, I have seen the fitting on the valve cover clogged before. Now there are several other instances I have heard of that can cause this problem. If you are puking oil out into the airbox at idle, check your plastic oil pump gears (Thanks to Kyle at R&S for giving me a heads up on this one). If you are puking oil into the tranny check any of the seals that seal the crank cart plate to the engine oil side.

haydug

#9 Post by haydug »

spare motor?? Why yes I just happen to have one. Need it?? I actually am buying 2 from Hellbound racing now that need cranks, and sending them to south bay for new cranks and their reliability upgrades.
If I can swing it, maybe I can get a motor as a spare, and when a fellow cannondalerider needs one to get by we can work something out.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Make sure that the shaft on the counter balancer which drives the main oilpump(the one the oil filter is on)isnt sheared off.I have seen this happen when the crankplates move from loose bolts.