its cold out so why wont she run

werty

#1 Post by werty »

Ok I like to go riding in the winter if my 03 cannibal is cold she fires up. So I let her run for a little bit. I hop on and it is like trying to wake up from a night of heavy beer drinking. Farts and pops likes she wants to die. Is my battery freezing and I'm not getting voltage? I'm just at a loss. After about twenty minutes she runs fine.

ry415

#2 Post by ry415 »

check all the intake boots make sure everything s tight.... fresh plug?

werty

#3 Post by werty »

QUOTE (ry415 @ Oct 16 2011, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
check all the intake boots make sure everything s tight.... fresh plug?

About 10 hours on the plug. I have to change the oil this week ill lookinto the intake boots. I will pull the plug at the same time.

cdsracer

#4 Post by cdsracer »

We've had the same issue with several of our cannondales running in very cold weather. I found that the relay that is mounted up front in the ecu tray will "chatter"...if you unplug it, the engine will run normally. You can actually bypass the relay electrically but what we've done is just unplug the relay during cold weather use and have not experienced any negative effects of doing so.

werty

#5 Post by werty »

QUOTE (cdsracer @ Oct 17 2011, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We've had the same issue with several of our cannondales running in very cold weather. I found that the relay that is mounted up front in the ecu tray will "chatter"...if you unplug it, the engine will run normally. You can actually bypass the relay electrically but what we've done is just unplug the relay during cold weather use and have not experienced any negative effects of doing so.

If I may ask what dose the relay control

cdsracer

#6 Post by cdsracer »

Going by memory only here as it has been about 6 years or so since I ran into this... the relay provides high current +12v power to all components. It is switched by the key and run/stop switch and it also has a timed delay to disconnect (so fan etc.. can run for cool down when all switches are turned to off). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you take a look at the wiring diagram, the handlebar switches actually provide a parallel path for power to all components. They must, because the unit runs normally with the relay removed. It has been argued that removing the relay might overheat/melt/damage the key switch or run/stop switch or wiring. Seems possible but it hasn't proven to be an issue on any of the 16 Cannondale ATV's that ride in our family/friends group. We only run without the relay in very cold weather.

When we discovered this, we were at the dunes in really cold weather with several quads that were misbehaving (misfiring, popping, flaming out the pipe etc..) We could pull the relay while the quad was idling and it would run normally. My brother-in-law actually wired in a removable link on the ground side of the relay for all three of his quads so that he can disable the relay without having to remove plastics.