newbe

MX Quad Dad

#11 Post by MX Quad Dad »

My opinion is, after you do the reliabilty updates. porting seems to be the best. but you can also up the displacemnt by bore or stroke. getting a stroked crank may take some time but i like sticking with the nicasil liner which I'm not sure you can get with the bigger bores. another way I look at it is. unless you have the tools and know what to do on the head to fix things like sticky buckets, valve job you are going to send the head out anyway so it would be a good time to port.

spoolie25

#12 Post by spoolie25 »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Dec 3 2011, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My opinion is, after you do the reliabilty updates. porting seems to be the best. but you can also up the displacemnt by bore or stroke. getting a stroked crank may take some time but i like sticking with the nicasil liner which I'm not sure you can get with the bigger bores. another way I look at it is. unless you have the tools and know what to do on the head to fix things like sticky buckets, valve job you are going to send the head out anyway so it would be a good time to port.

guys thanks for all the help there is a local guy like 20 min away from me that rebuilds them and is going to help me out. we talked and we are going to go with a port job maybe and a 450 kit and a nice map for it smile.gif i cant wait to get this thing up and going i miss riding alot

speedfreek

#13 Post by speedfreek »

QUOTE (spoolie25 @ Dec 3 2011, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
guys thanks for all the help there is a local guy like 20 min away from me that rebuilds them and is going to help me out. we talked and we are going to go with a port job maybe and a 450 kit and a nice map for it smile.gif i cant wait to get this thing up and going i miss riding alot

Be careful, this local guy may be great but unless he's one of the builders off this forum I wouldn't let him touch my engine. I bought a speed from a guy that supposedly used to own a Cannondale dealer and the engine had to be rebuilt from someone on this site. There are several guys on here that are more than capable of helping you but two I would recommend are Wistech and Timbomoose. Both these guys can port like no other and Timbo is the king of crank work. It all depends on what kind of performance you are looking for and how deep your pockets are. Good luck and welcome to the C-dale family laugh.gif

Thetroutman4

#14 Post by Thetroutman4 »

I agree with the idea of making sure your mechanic is current with the latest reliability advances. Anybody can work on these machines... but don't let them! CURRENT knowledge is what you want!

MX Quad Dad

#15 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I don't want to sound like I am trashing anybody and I am not, I just hate it if things don't work out right for you. I don't know you or the guy you are thinking of letting do the work on it. But there is a long list of things a person needs to know about these that most likely don't apply to other rebuilds.

short list

Z 400 bearing
crank plate bolts
frying the ecu by shorting the fuel pump
decomp mech rebuild
how critical it is to get crank plat o ring in correctly (or how big of a pain it can be)
sticky buckets
one way bearing

this is to name just a few and anybody who doesn't know of these will most likely cause heart aches and cost money. If your guy can rattle off 8-10 items like these and know what the cure is would most likely be ok and a good bet he is a member on this board.

I know a real good mechanic and he also had a dale dealer ship and fore warned me of problems to watch for, but the last time I saw him was quite a while after the Z400 bearing was proven and he was trying to tell me it won't fit. people who didn't stay current on these either don't know or did a lot of R&D on thier own and most who tried that have fallen by the wayside

Choose wisely

spoolie25

#16 Post by spoolie25 »

dave sent me an email. and has sold this guy a bunch of things. i talked to the guy for a half hour and all the stuff that dave told me the guy told me . so we will seee i want to talk to this guy in person and see some of his work.