valve cover??

spoolie25

#1 Post by spoolie25 »

bought an engine tonight and not sure ifthe valve cover is aluminum?? its black and the one off the other engine i have it gray any way of telling?? its not corroded... any help

who_gives_a6

#2 Post by who_gives_a6 »

If it's black it's most likely a mag cover powdercoated. I have two of those on my shelf and neither have any corrosion, though I'd trust aluminum a whole lot more. The aluminum one is heavier than mag and easy to tell the difference looking at the two.

Not to steal the thread but anyone ever have issues with the powdercoated mag covers? One I bought had been sitting since 2004 with cheap Prestone antifreeze in it and has no corrosion at all.

spoolie25

#3 Post by spoolie25 »

QUOTE (who_gives_a6 @ Dec 27 2011, 03:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it's black it's most likely a mag cover powdercoated. I have two of those on my shelf and neither have any corrosion, though I'd trust aluminum a whole lot more. The aluminum one is heavier than mag and easy to tell the difference looking at the two.

Not to steal the thread but anyone ever have issues with the powdercoated mag covers? One I bought had been sitting since 2004 with cheap Prestone antifreeze in it and has no corrosion at all.

i did notice the coating looks like its starting to bubble what type of coolant do i need to run in this thing???

beanie$440$peed

#4 Post by beanie$440$peed »

QUOTE (spoolie25 @ Dec 27 2011, 02:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i did notice the coating looks like its starting to bubble what type of coolant do i need to run in this thing???

evans waterless coolant u can get it from local speed/hotrod shops usualy