Which Engine Bolts to Threadlock?

thomasmunka

#1 Post by thomasmunka »

Hi,

I have a 2002 Cannondale X440 I purchased almost a year ago. I've gone on several rides with it but haven't done much else to it other than a fluids and filters change.

I've been doing some reading and have found that I should threadlock certain engine bolts, but I haven't found any detailed descriptions or write-ups as to exactly which bolts I should check. Any advice related to this would be greatly appreciated.

What other engine parts should I check and/or replace while I'm at it?

Thanks,
Tom

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

You want to red loctite (high strength not permanent) pretty much everything under the side cover and valve cover EXCEPT: the cam cap bolts and the clutch spring bolts. I would blue loctite the outer cover bolts on the outside of the engine as well.

marshall100

#3 Post by marshall100 »

Red loctite over here is permanent, or at least that's what it says on the outside of the bottle I've got. I was going to blue loctite my tranny plate bolts in tonight, and now I'm not so sure..... huh.gif

NRath

#4 Post by NRath »

I'm going to second KDeal with red on the plate bolts. It says permanent, but it'll come apart no problem when you want it to. MAke sure to clean threads with brake cleaner and I will then blow them off with air to make sure the brake cleaner is gone. Loctite is your friend!!

marshall100

#5 Post by marshall100 »

Thanks guys, well worth knowing. laugh.gif

sdhow

#6 Post by sdhow »

One of the crankcase cover bolts (#5 in parts manual; in the 2 o'clock position) and three of the trans cover bolts came loose on mime. The crankcase cover bolt got completely out and I'm still trying to fish it out of the bottom of the trans sump (found it, but it was mangled!). The other ones came out to varying degrees; worst damage was done by the free crankcase bolt. It got wedged behind the clutch basket and bent it up a bit and the face of the trans cover plate is scarred up a bit. I ran a tap down all of the holes to clean up the debris and make for good threads to torque the new bolts into.

Think I can patch her together for Pismo in a couple of weeks though. If you're gonna open up the case for other reasons, call Brad @ Blackwidow...he has some improved fasteners you can loctite in place and keep this from happening to you.

claas900

#7 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (sdhow @ Jan 30 2012, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the crankcase cover bolts (#5 in parts manual; in the 2 o'clock position) and three of the trans cover bolts came loose on mime. The crankcase cover bolt got completely out and I'm still trying to fish it out of the bottom of the trans sump (found it, but it was mangled!). The other ones came out to varying degrees; worst damage was done by the free crankcase bolt. It got wedged behind the clutch basket and bent it up a bit and the face of the trans cover plate is scarred up a bit. I ran a tap down all of the holes to clean up the debris and make for good threads to torque the new bolts into.

Think I can patch her together for Pismo in a couple of weeks though. If you're gonna open up the case for other reasons, call Brad @ Blackwidow...he has some improved fasteners you can loctite in place and keep this from happening to you.

Where are you out of? How often do you go to Pismo?

sdhow

#8 Post by sdhow »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Jan 30 2012, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where are you out of? How often do you go to Pismo?

Outta Modesto; usually go to Pismo a couple of times a year. Going Feb. 15th-20th.