Quick connects on the gas tank

Jennys440dale

Quick connects on the gas tank

#1 Post by Jennys440dale »

Just came back from Hatfield McCoy this weekend (awesome place) and my fiances quick connect to the gas tank is leaking, pretty bad. We first started off by replacing the gasket on the male end (female gasket we cannot get to) That did not work. So, we used gas tank repair and electrical tape for a quick fix.

So, I guess my question would be:

Who sells these quick connects for the gas tanks and has anyone else had this problem? We both have '03 Cannibals.

DangerRanger

#2 Post by DangerRanger »

It is the o-ring on the female end leaking, just remove the tank (simple) and replace it...think it is a 6MM but not for sure. If you can't get it...I have three quad tanks laying around I can rob one off of.

Ben Wrightsman

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Is it leaking where the two fittings are put together or is it leaking where it is mounted in the tank.Like he said if it is connection you need o-rings.If is tank put a bunch of teflon tape on it and screw it in gently.

Jennys440dale

#4 Post by Jennys440dale »

Ranger- the female end is leaking when we connect the male in. The tank is not leaking around the female end.

Not sure you can get to the o-ring INSIDE of the female end, right?? We already replaced teh o-ring on the outside of the male end.

Thanks for your help guys smile.gif

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Hmm that is weird I actually removed the inner o-ring so I could run race gas without it swelling.It doesnt leak.All it does is seal off the gas when the male fitting is removed.Maybe the oring on the male end is wrong size or the fitting is out of round or nicked.I am working on getting some better fittings I will pick them up today and post info.They are for marine engines and have better o-rings that dont swell.

justfine

Ya, mine leaks too

#6 Post by justfine »

would buy a fix for it.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

The only problem I see with them is they are straight it would be a problem with the old style tank with fitting on back of tank.Another problem is the fuel pickup hose on the new tanks.We will see.

DangerRanger

#8 Post by DangerRanger »

Also, check to make sure the fitting is installed stright, and that it is Clicked in place.

Ben

cannondale27

Quick connects

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Here is what I came up with had to drill and tap for the insert which the pickup hose attaches to.These have the brown o-ring in them which will not swell.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

I bought the connectors at local Fleet Farm.

Tempo #240080 mod#484cfc female end $6.49
Tempo #220060 mod#461crc male end $6.49

They are used for Force outboard motors so flow and safety should be fine.A better fix would be to find this type of o-rings for our connectors since these will require some work to make.Brown orings.