Clutch plates

wyndzer

Clutch plates

#1 Post by wyndzer »

Just a note to everyone with the ten plate clutch. Check the inside friction plate every 15-20 hours. Marcums checked mine when I had it in for service and found that the two inside friction plates were damaged. The plates are thin and the ears on the plates will bend inward, if not caught in time severe damage can occur. Thank goodness the knowledgeable folks at Marcums knew to look for this or it would have been bad news for me. Cannondale is recommending that the 10 plate systems are replaced with an 8 plate system when the time comes.

Ryanstones

#2 Post by Ryanstones »

good tip.
Wyndzer did you send your engine to marcums? how much was the shipping?
My engine is at my dealer right now for rings(260hours) + whatever and he's supposed to look at the clutch too. Will Cannondale be telling him to replace with an 8 plate? Dang this just gets more expensive.

wyndzer

#3 Post by wyndzer »

I took the whole bike to them while I was in FL last week. It is a parts bulletin on the website. They only replaced the bent plates in mine, because they didn't have the replacement clutch's and I had to come back to NC. I will just check it in the spring and replace if necessary.

About the rings? Do you think it is a possibility that the ring problem came from not cleaning the air filter enough and keeping it oiled, or from something else?

cdale127

#4 Post by cdale127 »

the 03 dales have the 8 plate set up ...right?

Ryanstones

#5 Post by Ryanstones »

I'm speculating on rings and hope that is all but may need piston and sleeve too. The dealer still hasn't got it apart. The book calls for 100 hr ring replacement and i'm at 260. I'm religious about the filter and use a tub for oiling. If foreign matter through the intake is the cause it was from a broken airbox seal. Noticed an oilyspot on the airbox, removed the top and found the foam seal in several pieces. I sealed it with Black Rtr but the damage was done. How long i rode it that way is unknown. Fingers crossed for a quick repair:(

wyndzer

#6 Post by wyndzer »

Originally posted by 400ex127
the 03 dales have the 8 plate set up ...right?

If it was put together after 9-30-02 it will, but it likely is the 10 plate. It is fairly simple to check, you may want to pull it out while you are changing your fluids this weekend.

Ryanstones

#7 Post by Ryanstones »

Now That's a Quality post.
Thanks Terry!