Power loss from incorrectly adjusted throttle body

cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

The D&M puts into words and numbers what the ECU senses is happening to the motor.The ECU follows its instructions for what to do with that info.It cannot compensate for changes to throttle because the only way it knows where it is is by us telling it the open and closed position.
It is kind of like if you were told to meet someone in a city at a certain time but werent given a location.You would be lost and late even though you knew what city they were in.Same here.

Jaybr

#12 Post by Jaybr »

Yes Lap, I was talking about the TPS settings.

Cannondale27, you make it sound so simple;)

thomez

#13 Post by thomez »

I understand I think. Mechanically it is important to make sure that the thumb throttle is opening the plate in the throttle body 100% - I know mine actually was going past that to maybe negative 10% which would be the same airflow as 90% open ...

Making sure the WOT position is with the throttle plate completely straight up and down I think is essential for getting max power and making sure the air/fuel is correctly being formed.

Whew... ok enough of that - it almost feels like I'm back in class 2 days early!

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Sorry Thomez you are close but one important thing to remember is to do these settings with the throttle wheel NOT the thumb throttle.You need to be sure the throttle plate is all the way closed especially.But wide open is important too.Only way to do that is to reach under there and close throttle with idle screw backed all the way off.You will see when you do this that the throttle plate doesnt seat itself real well.
I kind of hate to say this but if you were to have the airbox off with the D&M hooked up you would see that when the throttle plate is about 3/4 open to wide open the % doesnt change.That is why wide open setting isnt as critical as closed.

LapTraffic

#15 Post by LapTraffic »

hmmm... this is much different than how we did it. Could you guys post detailed directions on how to correctly calibrate the TPS?

My Throttle was reading 3% at idle. We did ALL measurements using the thumb throttle.

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

The closed is the really important one to get right.You need to loosen the throttle cable,back off the idle screw(look to make sure it isnt touching stop),take your finger and push on throttle wheel to make sure it is fully closed,look at idle screw again,click the button,put tension on cable and do W.O.T. or even better open throttle wheel with finger all way and do W.O.T.

LapTraffic

#17 Post by LapTraffic »

That aint gonna cut it 27 smile.gif

I need directions... with pictures. smile.gif

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

Nobody does a post as well as you Laptraffic.I dont think I can meet your standards.LOL.Really I guess best way would be for me to do it and take notes and pictures since I ommitted quite a few things.Give me till weekend and I will do it.Need to try some of Jays maps anyhow.My camera doesnt take close ups very well.
Man I am supposed to be installing new crank,450kit,and head from Winky.I cant seem to quit riding though.

Jaybr

#19 Post by Jaybr »

27, you are going to do the pics of both 02 and 03 style throttles, right?

biggrin.gif

When you get it written up I'll post it on the Tech page.

And I do have a couple good cameras and both style throttle bodies, let me know if you want me to take some pics for you.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

Does anyone know how to copy and paste the whole screen when in the D&M program?If I could do that I could really make a nice instruction thread.