Power loss from incorrectly adjusted throttle body

atvrulz

Power loss from incorrectly adjusted throttle body

#1 Post by atvrulz »

If your throttle body is incorrectly adjusted, Is it noticeable? Unless you ride someone elses cannondale, how will you know how fast these dales are suppose to be?
The big question is then, how many cannondale quad owners are out there, that do not have their throttle bodys adjusted correctly and are just settlying for their current amount of power?
when they could have a chit load amount more?

btolenti

#2 Post by btolenti »

What adjustments can be made to the throttle body other than idle speed?

LapTraffic

#3 Post by LapTraffic »

My throttle linkage was incorrectly adjusted (Read 85%) and that is DEFINITELY a power robbing misadjustment that is easy to get yourself into.

Need the D&M kit to notice it.

atvrulz

#4 Post by atvrulz »

Sorry, i meant throttle linkage, not throttle body.
If you dont have your ECU checked by the D&M kit, how will you know.
thanks.

Jaybr

#5 Post by Jaybr »

I'll try and explain this without confusing myselft and everyone else.

When your TPS is off, the computer is sending the wrong timing and fuel to your motor. So in a situation like LAP's, when he was at full throttle the computer thought he was at 85% throttle so it was never sending WOT settings.

THe problem is not linear either, meaning the motor is not just running at 85% of WOT. because the throttle was actually at 100%, the motor was getting 100% airflow but fuel and timing as if it was at 85%.

For instance in the 03 Moto map at 7744 RPM and throttle position% of
75.5% the fuel mass is 17.26mg
90.5% the fuel mass is 18.76mg
100% the fuel mass is 19.03

So if the TPS is reading 85% at WOT, the fuel flow is around 1mg less than it should be causing a lean condition and just poor running.

LapTraffic

#6 Post by LapTraffic »

I was pretty confused after the first post, but the second one cleared everything up for me...
Thanks Jay! biggrin.gif

Jaybr

#7 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by LapTraffic
I was pretty confused after the first post, but the second one cleared everything up for me...
Thanks Jay!  :D

Sorry, just finished editing.

thomez

#8 Post by thomez »

Maybe I'm confused, but what I am thinking is the throttle plate being at max but not straight up and down, only allowing 85% of the airflow through the throttle body as possible but sending a signal that it is WOT - which would send more fuel and timing than you have air, causing a rich condition...

Where am I lost? Or am I talking about a whole 'nother problem?

LapTraffic

#9 Post by LapTraffic »

I believe we are talking about 2 slightly different things.

My throttle cable was misadjusted and the the TPS was accurately reading that it was only open 85% We adjusted the throttle cable back until it read 100%

I think what jay is referring to is TPS adjustment so that it is accurately reporting the throttle body position.

Is that correct Jay?

Also, is there a way of verifying that without removing the airbox and looking for a 100% reading and physically verifying that the throttle body is completely open?

Jaybr

#10 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by thomez
Maybe I'm confused, but what I am  thinking is the throttle plate being at max but not straight up and down, only allowing 85% of the airflow through the throttle body as possible but sending a signal that it is WOT - which would send more fuel and timing than you have air, causing a rich condition...

Where am I lost? Or am I talking about a whole 'nother problem?

Technically, I guess it could go either way. If your wide open throttle position was set low, as in a case where the cable stretches, you would hit it early and be in the situation you describe

I'm guessing in Lap's situation he was saying that when monitoring with a laptop and the thumb throttle wide open the computer was only reading 85%, so his TPS WOT setting was higher than he was ever hitting.

Just remember, the throttle plate is a mechanical device and will be all the way open when the thumb throttle is bottomed out. The throttle position is read by a sensor and compared to stored values in the ECU. If the mechanical part changes the sensor settings need to be changed too.

I update my TPS very often, usually when I change the oil. because of this and all the other things that require a D&M kit, I personally think the kit should have come with the quad.