valve adjustment

KYmxracer52

valve adjustment

#1 Post by KYmxracer52 »

I haven't adjusted my valves since the quad was new, so I'm going to tackle this sometime soon. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to do this without dropping the motor out? I'm just wondering how your suppose to lift the cams up enough to get the shims out and still keep the timing chain and cams in time? How much do shims cost? I know I'll have to drain the coolant, but is there anything else I should know before beginning?

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Never attempted this without motor removed.Jfarrar has removed valvecover without removing engine so you could go that far just to check them.Only way to remove the cams would be to take the gears off first.Probably could be done but the problem is the cam chain tensioner it is under the big sidecover to get at it motor has to be removed.I would remove the valvecover and check them you may be pleasantly suprised.Intakes seem to tighten up quickest but overall they all hold tolerance very well.

cdrookie

#3 Post by cdrookie »

if it ain't broke, don't fix it!:head:

NRath

#4 Post by NRath »

Originally posted by cdrookie
if it ain't broke, don't fix it!:head:

And how many races have you DNF'ed?? :hammer:

I'm just picking on you, Rook! But, don't be putting down a man that's trying to do preventive maintenance.

The cams would come out the top without pulling the gears and the timing chain wouldn't be an issue, but you wouldn't be able to torque the cam cap bolts back on. And keeping the timing right would be difficult, but not impossible. I'd highly suggest dropping the motor. It also gives you the opportunity to check the crank and tranny bolts.

cdrookie

#5 Post by cdrookie »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NRath
[B]And how many races have you DNF'ed?? :hammer:

out of the 10 i raced this year, i've only had one where i had to be towed off the track. :w: and i still don't know why it was(still is) blowing fuses. the race the day before that one, i lost the tie rod nut, stud, and spacer, now that could be classified as lack of maintenance, but i still finished under my own power and even got second place!tongue.gif

it seems like anything you do other than change the oil and clean the filter is bound to haunt you. my bike's never been the same since the frame change. every week there's a freaky new problem. i spend WAY too much time each week preparing my machine for the next race.

if you do this kymxracer, good luck!
smile.gif

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

NRath is right the chain and gears would NOT be a issue.I am sorry I was just working on a YFZ and had a bit of confusion there:confused:

KYmxracer52

#7 Post by KYmxracer52 »

I may just pull the valve cover off and check them right now. That way its a good reason to change the coolant again. Hopefully JFarrar will chime in and let me in on how he did his. I really don't have the time to pull the motor right now. I have a race every weekend this month and with Loretta's GNC next month, I really hate to get into the middle of something. It still starts good and runs good, so I may just check it and see if I can make it toward the end of the season. I plan on a 450 kit and stuff then, so it'll be a good time to tacke the valves too.smile.gif Thanks for the info guys!!

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Here you go.

http://www.cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showth...ight=valvecover

I bet everything will be fine.