Key Switch maintenence!!

haydug

Key Switch maintenence!!

#1 Post by haydug »

After doing some maintenence on some people's bikes in here, and chasing some electrical problems, I have found a problematic area that probably hasn't been check on your bike.
If you look at the bottom on your key switch, you will see 4 phillips screws. After taking the screws out, you will see how the switch works. It has brass terminals that make a connection as you turn the key. I have found these to be severly corroded. Clean them thoroughly, and put some di-electric grease on it. Now put it back together and go ride!!

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

You are on a roll Doug!

MI_CDALE_Rider

#3 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Haydug, how much wear did you see on the contact for the part that is in your hand in the picture? Are you able to bias (bend) that contact out a little bit to ensure proper contact?

haydug

#4 Post by haydug »

Originally posted by MI_CDALE_Rider
Haydug, how much wear did you see on the contact for the part that is in your hand in the picture? Are you able to bias (bend) that contact out a little bit to ensure proper contact?

Not sure, didn't try that, but I guess it's possible. I lightly sanded these, put grease on them and it worked like new.

Derno24

#5 Post by Derno24 »

I was in mine before and it has a little spring and ball assembly in there to hold pressure.

MI_CDALE_Rider

#6 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

I was just curious since it seemed that was a fair amount of wear on the mating contacts. Looks like an easy preventative maint. item.

JST

#7 Post by JST »

My key has been stuck for the last 6 months,how do I get it out?

JST

#8 Post by JST »

Anyone else have a stuck key?

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Try finding the little drain hole in the switch.Disconnect battery!And then take a hose and keep flushing out the switch and wiggling key once dirt is out key shoud come out.