Weak link

LapTraffic

Weak link

#1 Post by LapTraffic »

This is a fix for people like me who have a tendancy to break stuff.

When changing my spark plug this weekend prior to my ride I inadvertantly hit the coolant overflow on the top fo my coolant bottle. It must have cracked or broken outright because during my ride I pumped a considerable amount of my coolant out. I didnt notice it as it was wet out and there were quite a few water crossings that kept the bike pretty wet. I first noticed it when I stopped to wait for friends and shut the bike off. The fan ran for about 2 minutes. I have never noticed it running when I shut it down before. I got off the bike and saw that the coolant bottle was empty. I called the ride and loaded up for home.

I didnt want to buy a replacement bottle as it would have the same weakness as this one and with my refined maintenance techniques Id probably break the same nipple off when I was trying to install it.

I went to plumbing supply store and bought a 3/8" compression fitting

LapTraffic

#2 Post by LapTraffic »

The fitting is one of those tapered thread kinds that seals itself as you screw it in.

I removed the resevoir and drilled the nipple fitting hole out to 3/8 and then installed the new fitting.

LapTraffic

#3 Post by LapTraffic »

This is the res reinstalled.
In this case, fixed is better than brand new.

The fitting was about 1.50

LapTraffic

#4 Post by LapTraffic »

Originally posted by Guy432
You may want to put some type of RTV sealant around where the nipple screws into the plastic. I know that plastic is relatively thin and with the vibration these quads have it may loosen the seal that's created by just threading it in.  

I dont know that it would help, those compression fitting are pretty amazing. The plastic up there on the shoulder is a lot thicker than on the side.

The hole drilled to 3/8ths is just barely big enough to start the first thread on the fitting.

NRath

#5 Post by NRath »

Did yours come with pink antifreeze? Mine's green. That must mean the companies going to ****- they went from green to pink antifreeze!!! OMG!!! What am I gonna' do???!!!! rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif wink.gif

Also, good fix! Creative thinking is often the most valuable tool!

LapTraffic

#6 Post by LapTraffic »

That's water wetter wink.gif

Knight440

#7 Post by Knight440 »

Nice Fix man gona have to take a look at mine rolleyes.gif

Pink antifreeze :eek: :eek: :eek: ohmy.gif

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

Nice Fix

Pro400EXC

#9 Post by Pro400EXC »

Hey Lap,

can I get that fitting at Home Depot?

And seeing as how this is over a year old,hows it holding up now?

haydug

#10 Post by haydug »

Great tip Lap. Although, I'm wondering where that bottle is?? I looked all over my yammie today and couldn't find one that looked like that?? :confused:

:hammer: