Torque wrench extensions

cannondale27

Torque wrench extensions

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

It has been asked whether the specs would change.If used at 90 deg to the torque wrench no changes to specs are needed.Here is a nice article. http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/3...7/torqwren.html

If not at 90 then you have to compensate.

Jaybr

#2 Post by Jaybr »

Good info

The question I have always wondered is if the specs in the manual have already calculated for the extension since they specify the special tool where needed.

ANIMALSCANNIBAL

#3 Post by ANIMALSCANNIBAL »

Originally posted by Jaybr
Good info

The question I have always wondered is if the specs in the manual have already calculated for the extension since they specify the special tool where needed.

No they are not calculated for any extension. The manual, mentions using your extension @ 90 deg. thus not needing to re-calculate the torque specs.:deal:
Also, another usefull post by the human data dase known as cannondale27.:clap: Or as timbo refers to Steve as; "the living shop manual" lol smile.gif

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Cheap extension tool combo 12mm - 14mm.If correct tool cannot be located 12mm needs to be very slightly made bigger to fit 1/2in. drive torque wrench.(note this setup can be dangerous should wrench slip or break)

Third headbolt method is the Pig Tight method=tighten till it squeals like a pig!Method I am not proud of but have used in past without failure.Most wont admit this but have done it this way with a regular box end 14mm wrench about 8-10in long.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

J.Delany found this on that will work at Motion Pro.
http://motionpro.com/Docs/maintools.html

jfarrar

#6 Post by jfarrar »

what about the length of the adapter?do you think that has any effect?

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

As long as it is mounted at 90 deg it will have no effect.Otherwise you need to use the formulas to figure out effect.

J. Delaney

#8 Post by J. Delaney »

I can't take credit for that find. Jamiesel found it and passed it on to me.

banzairx7

#9 Post by banzairx7 »

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Here are the pics from this thread.If one(pic) is yours please right click on it and save it then you can edit your post and put the picture back where it belongs for good hopefully.