Check Your Engines!!!!!!!!!!!!

markvette

#71 Post by markvette »

ok guys let me show how important it is to check these bolts NO MATTER HOW NEW OR OLD YOUR QUAD IS. a friend bought a 03 le four weeks ago. he rode it 3 times and races 1 moto this weekend. he heard a noise so shut it down. he took his clutch cover off yesterday and a bolt is completely out lodged behind his clutch basket. i wont give his name but he will probably post about it soon. GUYS CHECK YOUR ENGINES NOW!!!!!!!!!!

4punksdad

#72 Post by 4punksdad »

ok ok..............I'll check it this weekend dammit biggrin.gif

WJR

#73 Post by WJR »

I have an 02 cannibal, and I checked my bolts, and they were loose. 2 were out, the ones at 11:00 relative to the transmission shaft, and one was loose, the one at about 6:00. The crankshaft cart plate bolt, as you have pictured is just gone, I have no idea where it is, and it beat the heck out of the hole on its way out. I am now dropping the engine for a closer look. I think I am going to do a combination of safety-wire for the socket caps that remain, and tapping the holes that got fried for 10mm and then using a 10mm/8mm stud. Anyone have any experience tapping this metal?

drbowtie

#74 Post by drbowtie »

I just put mine back together last night (03 speed) and I'm pretty sure that I checked the right thing...

Pulled all the clutch plates out and there was a 10mm (guess-timate on size) stud just below an Allen head bolt at about 10 O'Clock (assuming the clutch basket was the clock face). There were visible allen head bolts at 11 O'Clock and a couple more over to the right of the clutch basket but these seem to be securing a different part of the engine.

Does this sound right?

claas900

#75 Post by claas900 »

..Hello everyone,Iv been keeping up on this trend and I just thought id let everyone know what i found out on my 03 speed,with about 25 hours on her.
I have yet to take out the motor,going to do it this week.I did take out the clutch cover,I have the 9 fiber clutch "old style"great?.Its going south right now as we speak.Anyways took out the clutch.None of the bolts were lose for the transmission plate,took out two of the allen bolts both had what looked like blue lock tight on them.
As for the crank plate,from what i could see at 10'clock i could see a stud/nut.So im sure this has the stud up date?????right??So my question is when I drop the motor,and if she has the studs do i still need to re due them? retorke them,re lock tight them?
Any help would be great..God I love this bike..tongue.gif ..Thanks

cannondale27

#76 Post by cannondale27 »

I would just redo the tranny bolts with red loctite and maybe wire them.That is what I am going to do as soon as someone posts a thread on the proper way to wire it.

drbowtie

#77 Post by drbowtie »

Anybody give any thought to some type of a thin lock washer under the bolt heads?

drbowtie

#78 Post by drbowtie »

Ya know...

Here's a thought... If you were Cannondale on the financial edge and you knew that everyone of your engines that you manufactured over the last year were going to eventually grenade do to a manufacturing flaw... What would you do?

CHAPTER 11

I'll bet Cannondale will be back. But, I'll bet you dollars to donuts we will have no warranty and they will restructure this problem and move on... Not that this is the only reason, but it may have been the straw.

I made a mistake getting this thing:( ...

drbowtie

#79 Post by drbowtie »

Well, back to taking my machine apart... Atleast I know.

CdaleRacer0128

#80 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

alright guys ive read the entire thread..and im kinda in the same boat as drbowtie is in..im picking up my quad this weekend and when i get it i will pull the clutch cover off..and the pressure plates circlips and things to see if the upper corner is a nut/washer combo instead of an allen..and if it is and all is tight then i am fine right?...

also what do i need to do this project..thanks guys for your help

i cant wait