Check Your Engines!!!!!!!!!!!!

4punksdad

#101 Post by 4punksdad »

:welcome:

but what the **** are you talking about?

aroracer72

#102 Post by aroracer72 »

lol....owners manual....under the seat tongue.gif [hheeww...thats a good one

parks9

#103 Post by parks9 »

i dont think dales would have had these kind of problems if they wouldve tightened everything up in there! or is that not the problem?

CdaleRacer0128

#104 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

That is by far not the whole problem at all, the design of the case, crankshaft, rod bearings, and many other designs all came into play and just needed a few more months or a year to work out. problem with the dales was that they did their R&D while producing machines, they learned as they went, which was cost saving but very risky to their reputation of a reliable machine.

We were all very confused during this time, but all so naive about what was going to happen, did anyone have any idea that it would lead to 468cc Falicon Cranked, yfz/trx that were only dreams then eating machines!?

wistech

#105 Post by wistech »

Holy Cow! This post was the reason I pulled the engine out of my brand new speed over 2 years ago. @ years later and my homemade stud kit was still tight. Oh good times.:head:

I wonder how many quads are still left out there with out at least a locktite job. I would guess very few. Heck ive got ten cases from parted out quads in the shop right now. Thats 10 parted out quads. Everyone of them was and unupdated engine . Some were fx400s with blown flywheel bearings. Several had crank bearings fail. Only 2 had the bolt come out of the tranny plate and wreak havoc on the gear train.

rob_me686

just wow

#106 Post by rob_me686 »

hollly is all i can say
this is a usefull yet scarfull thread!!

so just a question, i've looked at many of the walk-thrus about checkin' these bolts.

just in general, how many of them can u successfully check by pullin' the clutch?
and is that suffice enough or not?

also heard about bleedin' the clutch, what's in doin' this? mine has sat since the winter, and i remember b4 my last ride, when shiftin' from 1st to 2nd she was a lil tight, it just took a little more foot foot 'umph' to shift er up. how exactly would i bleed her, i've looked into it before but wasnt sure HOW to do it..

any help would be great guys!

thanks

moto440

#107 Post by moto440 »

i pulled my clutch apart and checked the bolts yesterday and they were tight as ****,, i busted everyone loose that i could get too and they appeared to have a greenish looking loctite type of stuff on them, i applied a generous amount of red loctite and reinserted. even though they were tight as could be i still plan to eventually add the stage 8 kit just for preventative maintainence

cannondale27

#108 Post by cannondale27 »

Green Loctite?Sounds like one I may have done way back.Now I just use red Loctite and blue on small bolts.With Stage8 of course.Where did you get this quad?The ones I did I usually wrote in marker inside clutch cover saying it was Loctited.

moto440

#109 Post by moto440 »

it came from a guy up towards wiscousin, still in illinois and the cover said nothing on the inside of it i do remember that, it is a magnesuim clutch cover i believe, i always thought they were plastic until i pulled it. but every bolt was tight so thats a sigh of relief for now!!!

wistech

#110 Post by wistech »

Just a little locktite could have saved a lot of engines.