Decompresion mechanism repair.

Happyboy

#31 Post by Happyboy »

Derno, can you take some pics? If it is the same or very similar to ours could you send it down to one of us for inspection? If the backing plate is adaptable that would be a good addition.

wistech

#32 Post by wistech »

Wouldnt it be cool to find it to be a copy of a suzuki design. Heck maybe the parts will fit. There seems to be a lot of suzuki parts going into our dales anyway.LOL

cdalerider75

#33 Post by cdalerider75 »

Originally posted by wistech
I talked to Cord today and he said he has had to remove material from the cam caps to keep them from touching.

My cam cap shows/has this wear... I will post a pic later

cannondale27

#34 Post by cannondale27 »

Derno I think it was a new addition to their cams.If you could take pics of your stock Z400 cam that would be awesome.Anyone know where to find a pic of a TL1000 cam?That would be what they copied.

Derno24

#35 Post by Derno24 »

I'll dig for the cam tonight and get a pic for tomorrow.

krash

#36 Post by krash »

When the decompression mechanism fails, what happens to engine? What I mean is how does it act, will it still run, what does it sound like? And then, How much extra damage can be caused, how much to fix the problem?

wistech

#37 Post by wistech »

If your really lucky it will break off the weight and fall to the bottom of the head . Then the decompression may just apply slightly or may even run fine. Most of the time it shatteres,throwing pieces into the cam lobes,wedging a valve open and smashing the piston. Ruining the head ,valve cover,cams ,piston,bearing caps,tappets,cam drives ect.

Happyboy

#38 Post by Happyboy »

ROFL@Wistech

Man, talk about gloom and doom.

Craig_C

#39 Post by Craig_C »

So,,,,If my motor has like, 1000 hours on it, should I worry about this?

wistech

#40 Post by wistech »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Happyboy
ROFL@Wistech

Man, talk about gloom and doom.
[/QUOTE
I thought I was being positive at first . Well he wanted to know. LOL
Ive got a pile of wasted camshafts and other head parts all because of this rediculous device.

Of course there are those out there who belive the cranks dont fail and cartridge plates dont come loose either. Heck these are definatly a crap game ,some Ive rebuilt with hundreds of hours were like brand new and some were just what was left after the failure . Mileage didnt seem to matter. It just what parts you got and how good they were installed from day one.