Main Bearings, has anyone tried a different manufacturer than torrington

wistech

#11 Post by wistech »

Just to let you know .I couldnt find an inner race that had just one flange when I was looking for a replacement bearing for an fx400. I could get the outer race and rollers but only an inner race with no flanges. I ended up buttering Cord up at ATK to send me an inner race. You can not run without the flanged inner race . The crank will have no control of freeplay. So just keep a note of that when ordering bearings.

I would also like to know what you guys think of steel cages on high speed bearings. I think the plastic cages would be better on the crank due to thier self lubricating qualities. The only bearings we Ive had any trouble with had steel or brass cages on them.

haydug

#12 Post by haydug »

I also agree with Wisetech on the cages. Also, another thing on these bearings, KTM uses them in their 2-stroke engines. I do all the warranty work for a local KTM dealer, and have NOT seen a crank bearing failure yet. I do not believe the crank bearing to be an issue with these motors, I think people are "searching" for problems now.

jfarrar

#13 Post by jfarrar »

Originally posted by haydug
I think people are "searching" for problems now.

isnt that the truth!

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Great info!I also run stock mainbearings.

comander420

#15 Post by comander420 »

I'm going to be running the stock ones also, I'm just trying to be educated to know what and where to get one if i were to have one fail. I was looking for the exact OEM replacement and that's when I started coming up with questions as to what is really in there.

mike justice

crank bearings

#16 Post by mike justice »

When we first got our cannondale at about 25 hours the inner race on the flywheel side main crank bearing whent out.I always wondered why this happened.The rollers looked perfect and the outter race looked good too.I went with ball bearings and didnt have any problems with them.The other bearing looked good.I always wondered if the two different size bearings had something to do with it,only engine i can remember working on with two different size crank bearings.

wistech

#17 Post by wistech »

Yes I wonder what the engineers were thinking. Huge bearing on one side ,little pip sqeaker on the other. Even the large bearing on the Dale is smaller than most other engines that put out much less power.:cry:

timbomoose

#18 Post by timbomoose »

I always wondered if the two different size bearings had something to do with it,only engine i can remember working on with two different size crank bearings.

The reason for two different size bearings is that the bigger one on the clutch side handles most of the of load that drives the gears.The other side isn't handling near the same load so that big of a bearing is not required.Also this is the same reason why the clutch side is fed by the oil pump and the other side is drip fed.Roller bearings handle a much greater load than ball bearings and that is why the bearings do not have to be as large.On snowmobiles, almost all newer sleds have ballbearings throughout the crank,but a roller bearing on the clutch side where all the torque takes place.The stock bearings are actually very good beside the fx400 (1006).The main reason why there are some problems is because of a unbalanced crank(newer hydro clutch) and not changing them when a crank goes out it from debris throughout the bearing and damages the bearing.