Main Bearings, has anyone tried a different manufacturer than torrington

comander420

Main Bearings, has anyone tried a different manufacturer than torrington

#1 Post by comander420 »

I was looking at possibly getting a new set of main bearings and was wondering if anyone had used a roller bearing different than the NU205/305E torrington bearings. I called my local bearing distributor and they recomended an NTN nu205e and 305e with a metal retainer as replacements because they said NTN generally makes a better bearing, and they didn't think that the plastic (phenolic) would hold up that well. Also I was wondering if the Torrington NU205ETVP2 bearing was what we had, it has a phenolic retainer i believe. Let me know if anyone has info.
Thanks
Brad

Cdale_racer_669

#2 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

diamondracingatv has them for 75$ for the pair

haydug

#3 Post by haydug »

Originally posted by Cdale_racer_669
diamondracingatv has them for 75$ for the pair

Actually, no they do not, Diamond switched to a ball bearing design, of which I feel is not at reliable as stock. Yes, I have looked into other bearings, and even paid more money at times for a supposedly better bearing, but after lot's of research, I'm back to the original. That is all that will be in my motors from now on.

comander420

#4 Post by comander420 »

is this the part number of the bearings you use haydug?
NU205ETVP2
NU305ETVP2
I know the actual bearing only lists the fisrt 6 digits. So I wasn't sure if the last few digits are what was in our machines or not.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

I agree with Haydug. Stick with stock and keep your oil clean and the will last .

jfarrar

#6 Post by jfarrar »

Originally posted by haydug
Actually, no they do not, Diamond switched to a ball bearing design, of which I feel is not at reliable as stock. Yes, I have looked into other bearings, and even paid more money at times for a supposedly better bearing, but after lot's of research, I'm back to the original. That is all that will be in my motors from now on.

actually diamond switched back to roller bearings and they have a metal cage in them.i didnt have much luck with the ballbearings myself.we'll see how the new ones hold up i guess.i have had good luck with stockers too

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

I cant find what the last letters mean.I believe Jay had a chart with specs.Timken owns Torrington now so I can find a main site for them.

CANNIBALKID

#8 Post by CANNIBALKID »

when someone finds the # pm me with it. i migth be able to help you guys out. the company i work 4 is a timken dealer. skf could be another option, if they run cheeper. skf and timken's quality are pretty much the same.

comander420

#9 Post by comander420 »

Well this is what I found out from Timken, my only question is has anyone seen the insides of the main bearing to confirm that it is a plastic retainer? Here is Timkens's response
"Thank you very much for the inquiry. These are metric Cylindrical
Roller Bearings and are in fact manufactured in Germany.
The standard part number for the two bearings are NU205E.TVP2 and NU305E.TVP2. In each case: -the NU indicates the style of CRB with two flanges on the outer ring and no flanges on the inner ring. This is a very common assembly type. - the 2 and 3 indicate the series - the 05 indicates the bore dimension, in this case as 25mm - the E.TVP2 indicates the molded reinforced polymer window-type cage.

Both of these bearings are available through a Timken Authorized
Distributor. To find a distributor near you, please use the
Distributor
Locator feature on the www.timken.com website. Here is the specific
link:
http://www.timken.com/timken_ols/bearings/.../distribute.asp
Limiting speed of the NU205E.TVP2 with grease is 9800 and with oil is
rpm.
Limiting speed of the NU305E.TVP2 with grease is 9400 and with oil is
rpm.

Thanks again for your inquiry and thanks for using Torrington brand
Cylindrical Roller Bearings from The Timken Company.

Jaybr

#10 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by comander420
Well this is what I found out from Timken, my only question is has anyone seen the insides of the main bearing to confirm that it is a plastic retainer?  

Yes, the cage/retainer is some sort of plastic.