Cylinder Liners

cannondale27

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

Class 900,
Okay I have seen two of these liners crack right by the indent.The ones I saw looked like they drilled the indent in too deep.I thought this was the cause.Someone posted that they also cracked two liners and second time they put it together they put the indent towards the intake rather than the exhaust and it still cracked on the exhaust side opposite the indent.This led me to believe it was caused by a hot spot and cavitation which the Evans will take care of.Yes the Evans runs hotter than regular antifreeze but it wont boil out.We need to figure out why the liners crack.Are you sure yours wasnt cracked before you put the Evans in?
The kits are on the website links I posted.I believe you can get stock or bored.I havent called them yet.You dont need to run race gas if you do mix 50/50 with premium and watch or remove the o-rings in quick disconnects.I am working on getting new quick disconnects they use a brown o-ring whick wont swell.They are used on boats for the force outboard motor.Sold at most places with Marine.I would like to get a 90 deg. end though.What about map work?

4strokemadman

#2 Post by 4strokemadman »

There were two types of liners made. The early ones machined from extrusion, the second were made by Asso and are made from a casting. The Asso liners are more brittle and weaker than the earlier liners. The hole was drilled too deep on the Asso liners which doesn't help. There were liners made at the end that had no holes drilled at all this should work fine, but the best liners are the earlier ones.

Jaybr

#3 Post by Jaybr »

4Stroke,

Do you know which ones where labeled "Red" and which where "Green"?

4strokemadman

#4 Post by 4strokemadman »

The "red" and "green" liners (if my memory serves me correct) were for matching liners with pistons. This was done to minimize blowby. When we went to the Asso piston this was not needed as that piston's thermal expansion followed the liner more closly than the Wiseco. Bottom line we could run less clearance with the Asso piston. The "red" and "green" liners were the ones made from extrusion and should be stronger than the ones with a drill mark. There could have been some overlap. For example there could be some liners with the drill mark that were made from extrusion.