My boy, "Hayden Flipper"

haydug

My boy, "Hayden Flipper"

#1 Post by haydug »

Well, I got my first scare last night. I must first say that my 8 year old is really starting to speed up. For the past few years, I have hauled him all over to races, only to have him joy ride, or sometimes not even ride at all. I have always supported him, whether is last or first. But, it gets my adreniline going when he is on the gas.
So, last night we are at a supercross track, he is running around 3rd place. He hits the face of a tabletop, and I take my eyes off of him to root on one of his friends(Mathew) about 1/4 lap back. Then, when I turn around I see this little bike flipping through the air. Once, Twice, and SLAM to the ground with the seat hanging off of it. The first thing through my mind: "Ouch, that's gonna hurt"
Then it hit me, about midway through the second flip: "391"
****, that's Hayden, so I take off running over there. I about ran over a little guy going down the track (sorry, although I know you'll never read this). Mathew's dad beat me to him, and Hayden was standing up when I got there, so I talked to him for a second while Steve picked up the bike, and put the seat back on, then cleaned out all of the mud around the handlebars.
Hayden showed my his hand, and said it hurt alittle, then asked to get back on the bike. I was shocked! I have always been one to preach about making them get back on the bike after a crash, but this time, I was not even thinking about him getting right back on, so I started it, and off he went!
I guess what happened, he was pinning it going down a straight away, and hit a soft spot, and the front end just stuck, spitting him over the bars, and the bike flipping.
He got nothing more than a scuff on his side (probably handlebars) and a sore wrist. He rode the second moto to a solid 5th place, with a couple of top 10 Lorretta's riders taking the top 2 spots.

Anyway, he is fine, and I have now had my first "shock" with him crashing. He has crashed before, but nothing that looked like that, so it caught me off guard alittle.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats great!He must have the fortitude to race for sure.Glad he didnt get hurt bad.I know how it feels to see your kid crashing.I am doing my best to teach my 5yr old with a crf 50 it seems as if growth spurts affect her riding ability alot.One day it seems as if she will be race worthy and next it seems like she is on ground and forgotten everything more than riding.After hitting house and many trees and bushes the site of your kid about to crash is one that really is scary as heck.Seems more trying on parents than the kids.Gotta be worth it though teaches kids lots of values that hopefully will give em a lifelong passion.

CptHook

#3 Post by CptHook »

Well Im glad he's alright. The little guys out at these motocross nowadays are little troopers. I was watching a little guy, had to be about 5 years old on the little 50 track at our local track and I was watching him go around the course and get confident, and everytime he would come up to a jump he would slow right down. Well after a few laps of doing this I guess he decided he was going to try to take a jump at some speed. As he approached the jmped I was just listening to his little motor, and as he came up the face of the jump he let off the gas completely, bad news. As he went over the lip of the jump, his front end nose dived and hit the front of the jump in front of him, catapulting him over the bars into a complete face plant on the downslope of the jump. I paused for about a half second since I did not know the child, but after glancing around and not seeing anybody running to him I headed down to him myself. Sure enough his mother appeared from the other side of the track, running up to him yelling, by this time he was just standing there holding his little chest protector like a safety blanket, and standing there as if he had done something wrong. His mother came up and checked him over and then began lecturing him about putting his hand up to signal that he was ok if he crashed. In the interim I was over trying to get his little bike started. No more than a minute later he was back on and riding as if nothing had happened. Goes to show these little guys are fearless ironmen. Glad you son went on to finish the race like a true trooper :clap: :head:

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

I flag at a few races.One time I saw a 50 rider almost loose it and he was off track.I was going to try to catch him to keep him from falling when I looked in his eyes.They were wide open and he was screaming!Just the look I knew I needed to get the heck out of his way!

Exodus

#5 Post by Exodus »

I bought my 8 yr daugter one of those Kazuma 50's, its a cheap little thing, but has a copy xr50 motor in it. She been getting pretty good at standing up on the jumps, leaning on the inside of a turn so on. Well we were at the track a couple months ago and I did a cookie just playing around, she decided to give it a try and got it broke loose, she went around about one and half times and I was just going to start bragging, then it all went down hill, I didnt know you could roll a quad that many times from a cookie, I swear it went over twice. Scared the bejesus out of me. So I ran over there and shes standing there holding her rump, and she hit me. I dont know what scared me more, her right cross, or the crash that got her mad in the first place.