Any race Dad's here?

badvox

Any race Dad's here?

#1 Post by badvox »

Ok with all the racers on here are there any race dad's?

My son is going to race the 71-90cc Stock class at the ITP Quadcross series in So Cal. Being that this is a first for me and him. What can I do to make his experience and mine the best?

Anyone know if the peewee classes race Sat and Sun or do they only run on Saturday?

Should we plan on overnight camping?

Thanks,
Mike

fixthedale

Re: Any race Dad's here?

#2 Post by fixthedale »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by badvox
Ok with all the racers on here are there any race dad's?

Yeah, I am race dad, mechanic, sponsor, etc.

My son is going to race the 71-90cc Stock class at the ITP Quadcross series in So Cal. Being that this is a first for me and him. What can I do to make his experience and mine the best?

My son races C class Open moto and supercross on a Cannondale Moto. The best thing to do is be cool when he screws up and encourage him when he really puts out the effort. A lot of race parents are real jerks and my son really appreciates that screw ups are learning sessions. Our biggest hurdle is when he does great in a heat and tries to overdo it in the main or second moto.

Mike

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Just make it a fun day.Dont worry about the race.Took my daughter to her first race last summer.Got AMA card and entry.Time to race came and she said she would rather keep playing around with some kids she met at race so thats what she did.I was dissappointed but she had a great time and thats what its about anyway.

RoooStEr Pops

#4 Post by RoooStEr Pops »

My son races C class and I race TT. Just wait you are going to have fun. Just be there to help and encurage him. He has to learn on his own (Trust me on that). Dont tell him how to be better show him race with him and he will see what you are talking about. If you cant race with him have him watch the others and ask him what he would have done different.

badvox

Thanks

#5 Post by badvox »

Well thanks for all of the posts. Yeah I agree with all of you on this one. It is for sure about him. He won't shutup about it so I finally had to break down and find some races for him. We are going to take it one race ata time. If after the first race in january he doesnt want to go anymore then thats it.

Although I have a really strong feeling I need to get an event calendar ready for the series. I just dont see anyway how he isnt going to love it. Plus we get some quality time out in the dirt together!! :-) :head:

We were just talking about seeing the races at Glen Helen and it turned into "can i race, can i race, can i race". Of course I told him to ask his Mother. :-) And somehow he got Mom to say ok :deal: Go figure.

Thanks a bunch.

Mike

haydug

#6 Post by haydug »

I have 3 boys, ages 20 mos, 5 years, and 8 years old. The 8 year old has traveled up and down the east coast with me. I have taken him to several races, even a national in Georgia, that he rode 1 lap of practice, and played the rest of the weekend. :drink: The 5 year old has been racing a suzuki 50 quad for 2 years now. Somedays he loves it, and rides at home, others he could care less. Eitherway, I love to see the smile on their face's when they come around a turn or go over the whoops.
I get lots of funny looks sometimes, I'll go out and place top 3 in the "A" classes, then go out with my boys on the track and they are running in the back of the pack, and I'm cheering them on, telling them to have fun, and they look good. Other dads are screaming at their kids to go faster, get on the gas sooner, all that b.s. and I just smile at them.. wink.gif

badvox

#7 Post by badvox »

Originally posted by haydug
I get lots of funny looks sometimes, I'll go out and place top 3 in the "A" classes, then go out with my boys on the track and they are running in the back of the pack, and I'm cheering them on, telling them to have fun, and they look good. Other dads are screaming at their kids to go faster, get on the gas sooner, all that b.s. and I just smile at them..  ;) [/B]

He he Thats sweet! Well considering my son will probably beat me I still think thats good advice. :-)

January 29th at ITP Quadcross - Glen Helen first round.

He is so stoked about going. Their is a Pro class this year too so he is totally excited. Its also his birthday in January too so its just an awesome month for him. First time we'll be camping with just him and I too. Its gonna be great.

Mike

haydug

#8 Post by haydug »

QUOTE (badvox @ Dec 19 2005, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He he Thats sweet! Well considering my son will probably beat me I still think thats good advice. :-)

January 29th at ITP Quadcross - Glen Helen first round.

He is so stoked about going. Their is a Pro class this year too so he is totally excited. Its also his birthday in January too so its just an awesome month for him. First time we'll be camping with just him and I too. Its gonna be great.

Mike

Small update, I know have 4 kids. The third one is onto the 4-wheeler now. The 11 year old (used to be 8) now has a KTM 65 and a YZ85. The 8 year old (used to be 5) rides a KTM50. The newest baby (his name's Cooper) like to ride around on the PW50 with his oldest brother. He's gonna be riding soon!