Kids quads, any opinions?

NRath

Kids quads, any opinions?

#1 Post by NRath »

I'm on a hunt for another 4 wheeler to add to the stable. I'm not exactly new to the mini market. I've already got an '84 LT50- the classic with no suspension. Been a great little machine, both kids have ridden it and it's been solid as a rock. When my daughter outgrew it, I searched around a good bit and bought her an Extreme Pro100, which I've also been pretty happy with, except for chasing around an ill working carb since day one. I picked the Extreme because it had a hyd rear disc(drum fronts), elect start, reverse, CVT, the best kid friendly suspension I found, good tires, just a good lookin little machine in general. I looked at the LT80 and Yammie's crap- the LT's suspension was only about 2" and very stiff and the solid front axle Yammie is a joke.
On to today, the market is full of Chinese quads, all just alittle different than the next. I looked at a Kymco a friend has. It's a 90cc 2-stroke that's very small, about the size of most 50's. It had dual A-arm's in front, pretty rare in a mini, no reverse, but was pretty sharp. The front end had tightened up and was just about rigid. The rear susp felt pretty good. It also had a single foot pedal brake that controlled front and rear hyd brakes- no levers on the bars. I was impressed by all hydraulic discs, but a little leary of the foot brake. I can see my son hitting a jump and landing with his foot on the brake pedal and going flying. It was a pretty decent looking little machine though. He said he'd heard the frames are prone to cracking if jumped much.
I'd never given much consideration to the E-ton's until just recently. The Viper 90R has decent construciotn, plastics aren't the greatest, though. Dual a-arms, hyd rear- drum fronts, CVT, reverse, kid valved/sprung suspension w/ a good bit of travel compared to others.

Anybody got any experience with any of them or come up with anything doing research? My son is 5-1/2 and kinda' small framed at this point, so I don't think I can put him on a TRX90 with a good conscience- there kinda' big geometry wise.

And before it's mentioned, a Cobra is out of the question!! LOL! Wouldn't it be sweet, though!

otis

mini quads

#2 Post by otis »

I have 2 boys who race mini quads. We have 03 & 04 predator 90. An 03 Eton Viper. All 3 quads are totally built and get pounded pretty had considering what they are designed for. I am pleased with all 3 quads. We race with several people on various brands and I haven't seen one yet that when the child starts jump it that don't need the frame gusseted and strengthened. For looks I prefer the predator 90 or the aasco pro mx. The asian quads are (in my opinion) far more advanced on suspension than the japanese. Suzuki's engine is bulletproof though. If you are wanting to modify it and want a good platform to start from to save cash, The Aasco Pro MX90 is a good one to start with. www.eastsidems.com
But with this company you pick it up, don't send payment without quad in hand. You will have limited support for parts and tech. advice. I don't know anyone else that sells it. I am sure there are more dealers for it. A lot of the asian parts interchange with each other. As for advice that's what these forms are for. For some of the best service I have ever seen try www.racewayatv.com. His name is Jon. Ships everything for free. And if anything is damaged, he will replace it. Hope this helps some.

NRath

#3 Post by NRath »

Thanks for the reply, good info. I like the look of the Pred's, but there isn't much suspension compared to the Asian's, like you said. The Pred does seem to me to be better than Yam's, Honda, and 'Zuki's, though.
I kinda' like a couple of the mini's that have double a-arms instead of single, but I don't think that with only 4 or 5 inches of travel, there's enough of a mechanical benefit to them to overcome the weight penalty. Except maybe you don't have to worry about the spindle breaking off the a-arm. Ever seen that happen?
As far as Aasco being the same as the Extreme, hard to tell about the frame/motor, those pictures aren't close enough. It's definitely different plastic and suspension, though. Do most of the Asians use the exact same motor? Or do each of them have their own motor? I've noticed the layout is very similar but haven't looked close enough to see if they are the exact same or not.

I know there's a bunch of other mini owner's on here, throw in your .02!

otis

mini quads

#4 Post by otis »

The only difference motor wise that I have found is the transmission gears. Most are the same inside, some have different ratios, but will interchange. The output shaft is what is different. Some use 420, 428 and 520 chain sizes. There are three shafts with gears pressed on inside, in order to change chain size you have to change all 3 shafts. Here is a quad that I am looking at. Emailed them for dealers and price. Look at the weight. www.xtremeatv.com. It is the typhoon 70, 90, and 125. 4-stroke also. I have read on mini quad forums that it is supposed to be around $2000.00. That's not bad at all.

badvox

#5 Post by badvox »

Wow, so are you looking into this to build a race quad? Or do you want the nicest possible stock quad you can get?

For a pretty nice stock 90cc look at the new by Thumpstar. Its got dual arms out of the crate.

Other then that you would need to go aftermarket. My sons 90 is going to get RATH Racing arms and FOX shocks in a package for the kymco. They now make a dual a-arm conversion.

haydug

#6 Post by haydug »

Originally posted by badvox
Wow, so are you looking into this to build a race quad?  Or do you want the nicest possible stock quad you can get?  

For a pretty nice stock 90cc look at the new by Thumpstar.  Its got dual arms out of the crate.

Other then that you would need to go aftermarket.  My sons 90 is going to get RATH Racing arms and FOX shocks in a package for the kymco.   They now make a dual a-arm conversion.

Post some pics and info!

badvox

#7 Post by badvox »

Originally posted by haydug
Post some pics and info!

Wow I just got a shocker. Got off the phone and apparently the US thumpstar importer has closed up shop!!

I cant believe it. Thumpstar has built up such a good name. Wow.

So scratch the thump off your list. LOL

My Pops still has 4 of the 2 wheelie thumps left. Hes blowin 'em out for 1050.00 imagine that from the 1899 normal price. OUCH

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Here is the Extreme Typhoon.At dealer show they said $1700 had Fox rear shock and I dont know what on front.Very cool!

haydug

#9 Post by haydug »

Originally posted by cannondale27
Here is the Extreme Typhoon.At dealer show they said $1700 had Fox rear shock and I dont know what on front.Very cool!

That thing looks sweet. Any more pics? Once I get fully setup, I'll be calling them for sure! They make an awesome pitbike, very well built at a pretty decent price.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

I wish I would have taken pic of rear swingarm.It is designed exactly like that swingarm they used for the carbon fibre axle at Cannondale.Bearings are outside of sprocket and rotor.Makes for more support I would think.