Getting the Lil Guy a Typhoon 125

GDITheman

#1 Post by GDITheman »

Looks like we are going to get my 9 yo son an Xtreme Typhoon 125 this weekend.

Typhoon 125

We are going to get it from Wolfpack in Indiana. He seems to be doing a lot of work with AC for nerfs and bumpers, Profab for A arms and another guy for gussets. Looks like he does a lot to improve the sport and these machines.

Should be a lot of fun this summer.

ozarkdaler

#2 Post by ozarkdaler »

that is great.

I cannot wait until my son gets old enough to ride.

ronnoc47

#3 Post by ronnoc47 »

You can save yourself alot of money and buy a Baja Storm from Costco. It is the exact same quad and even has the name Xtreme Typhoon on the frame rail. It is made in the same factory.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...topnav=&browse=

thedeatons

#4 Post by thedeatons »

Why the Typhoon exactly? I am just curious.... I snatched up a DRR DRX2 70 and we love it... DRR won the Nationals again this year, sweeping the podium.... Just thought I would put in a good word...

GDITheman

#5 Post by GDITheman »

OK, he rode a typhoon at red bud 2 sundays ago and it seemed like the ticket. i like the idea of the honda 90, but didn't want to put all the time and money into widening it and doing a big bore kit on it right off the bat. the typhoon took care of those issues and lets him get used to shifting. there are quality issues with the typhoon and Xtreme does a much better job of standing behind the issues. plus, dealers can perform warranty work and if you read the Baja warranty, you'd see it's worth nothing.

the dealer i was going to buy the typhoon from recommended the DRR last night instead. it got me thinking. i like the idea, but i don't want him to be 12 and riding a CVT and i want this quad to last 3 years.

then i was thinking about a blaster and lowering it and i found a trx 90 ready to race, but not modded out.

so............. everything changed since my 1st post.

thedeatons

#6 Post by thedeatons »

How funny... Well, my daughter's 70 DRR smokes, and lets her ride with us in the dunes with paddles. It is 42" wide, just shy of my Moto. I know what you mean about the CVT, but the fact that she doesn't have to shift yet allows her to worry about other things, such as technique and the terrain ahead. If he races rest assured the rest of the class will be on CVTs, unless he is in the Cobra class, but then there is no way to keep up unless on a Cobra.... DRR also makes a 90, and from what I hear they are very nice too. Our 70 is water cooled, and I believe they will be offering that option on some of the others soon too. We managed to get the first water cooled 70 off the ship from Taiwan. The current travel on the front end is 7", with very well damped shocks from the factory, they move under my now 5 year old's weight, but with a pair of Elkas travel goes to 11" on the front!!! These things rock, and for $2000 out the door, this 70 was a bargain. I don't know why the big four is letting their butts be kicked for years now. I wouldn't even consider one of their oversprung underpowered supernarrow quads. Some people say parts are an issue, but DRR sends me parts with a few days, and so far I have only needed brake pads. Good luck!

NRath

#7 Post by NRath »

Mini's are a tough market, that's for sure! I've been shopping for them for about 5 years now. I've got a 10 year old daughter and 6 (about to be 7) year old son. The first we got was a classic 84 LT50, a ground up restoration including new plastic and tires and lots of powder coat made this thing look like new- she was 6, he was 2. As she grew and he needed the LT to ride, I started the real shopping. This was about 3 years ago. The big 3 or 4 were in the same boat then as now, their mini's suck! Most others at the time weren't much different, except what Extreme was selling. It was the only one that had a disc rear brake, elect start, reverse, and most importantly usable suspension travel. So, we bought that, a Pro 100, a few years ago. It's never been raced and my daughter isn't an aggressive rider and it's held up very well. Always struggled with a little carb issue, but it starts and runs good everytime they want to ride. No regrets and Extreme has been helpful when I called them.
Move ahead to now and I'm shopping for another for my son. I've known about Typhoons since the first prototype was made by K-fab, I've been thinking 70 or 90, though. They've definitely got the specs, but I've still been looking at others. The DRR is a nice looking ride, but it's a 2 stroke and a loud one at that. I only say loud from TheDeatons video. Thinking back, the loudness may be misleading and it may not be that loud in person, idk. The DRR looks to be a bit pricey though, compared to the Extreme. Apex has a decent looking machine, also. This machine was originally released by Extreme as the Pro Shark, but I guess Apex marketed it better and took most of the business. The Apex isn't as wide as the other 2, but I don't plan on my kids being mx'ers- we're an XC family!
If you've seen a Typhoon in person, hows the dampening on the shocks? I see rezzy's, but I wonder if they're functional. I'm only assuming the shocks are actually oil dampened. With that much travel, they better be! Wish I had a local dealer for anything besides the big 4 and Eaton.

GDITheman

#8 Post by GDITheman »

My 9 yo rode the Typhoon at Red Bud 2 Sundays ago and he is light at 60 lbs suited up. The owner's kid was 10 and at least 20 lbs heavier. I've read that the shocks are the best stock shock from China, but most people buying them are swapping to Fox Shox anyway.

Looks like we might get the Blaster and the Typhoon. hmmmm. Might be an intersting summer.

thedeatons

#9 Post by thedeatons »

The DRR is loud, I admit, but that tuned silencer is one of the reason they are winning races. This year they have a dual A-arm setup, with disc brakes all around, and a tether kill switch on the handlebars, moto style. Electric start with an easy to use kick backup. The 70 Water Cooled is a limited edition, and comes with an upgraded carb and the oil injection system removed. The headlight has a low, high and off selector. The Taiwanese quads are touted to have better quality control, but who knows. I will try to get some better close up pics for you guys. They also have pink plastics available now....!

GDITheman

#10 Post by GDITheman »

The Tai quads are built better and that's one reason why the dealer recommended the DRR over the Typhoon. He said the DRR is faster stock than the Typhoon with engine mods (ported, cam etc)