Gasket Removal

NRath

#1 Post by NRath »

I need help.

I need to know if there's something I can put on one side of a paper type gasket that'll keep it from sticking to the metal case. I'm thinking of rubbing some motor oil on one side before putting it together, but maybe something else would work better. Hopefully something will work. I'm putting the CVT and tranny covers back on one of the 90's and hope to not have to deal with ripping the gaskets again next time.

For those mini owners, the shift lever had basically seized up- in forward fortunately. These things are almost funny- this big cavity for the transmission and only a couple gears in it. And, the starter idler gear has stripped. A new gear, a little work with some scotch brite, and a couple gaskets and it'll be back in action.

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

You may be able to get away with simply using black hi-temp RTV instead of the gasket. Otherwise contact the aftermarket and see if they offer a reuseable gasket.

peterock

#3 Post by peterock »

Yamabond B6. works great, won't have to buy another gasket

rayspeed

#4 Post by rayspeed »

I have never tried it but I heard on something like that you can contact cement one side so it stays where it needs to and have the other side pucker up and put some chapstick on it.
I will hold my rude comment on the connotations of that I am sure that someone else wont!

momentum

#5 Post by momentum »

QUOTE (NRath @ Oct 22 2008, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I need help.

I need to know if there's something I can put on one side of a paper type gasket that'll keep it from sticking to the metal case. I'm thinking of rubbing some motor oil on one side before putting it together, but maybe something else would work better. Hopefully something will work. I'm putting the CVT and tranny covers back on one of the 90's and hope to not have to deal with ripping the gaskets again next time.

For those mini owners, the shift lever had basically seized up- in forward fortunately. These things are almost funny- this big cavity for the transmission and only a couple gears in it. And, the starter idler gear has stripped. A new gear, a little work with some scotch brite, and a couple gaskets and it'll be back in action.

We rub a film of grease on every metal surface when building motors. Eventually every gasket will stick to the case but this will last awhile.

I hope this helps!

Shane

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

Hey Neil, pull that finger out of there before you seal her up or you will have some other problems too!
laugh.gif
blink.gif

speed2424

#7 Post by speed2424 »

We use a product called never-seize made by loctite at work on our gaskets and they come apart easily several years later. I have been doing it this way for 20 years.

NRath

#8 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Jan 7 2009, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Neil, pull that finger out of there before you seal her up or you will have some other problems too!
laugh.gif
blink.gif

Will do, Ken! I was holding the shift fork in. A little bit later I finally got the shaft out of the cover to keep it all together.

Speed24, by coincedence, I used your technique- basically the same as momentum suggested. It wasn't "Never-sieze", but a copper based anti-sieze. Hopefully I'll never have to take it apart, so I'll never know if it worked. We'll see. The chapstick might work pretty well, too. Once it heated up, it would prolly' embed the wax into the gasket. I might try that on the next one a tear apart.

The shifter had almost seized in it's bore(the hole farthest on the right). There was some galling between the steel rod and aluminum bore. I got them cleaned up, polished the steel shaft, and drilled a small hall at the base of the bore to maybe let a little oil seep in from splash. It's smooth as silk, now.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

MX Quad Dad

#9 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Haven't tried the never sieze on gaskits (I usely have good luck putting them on dry).

A while back a salesman showed me a trick with a offbrand neversieze. He put a nut (5/16 I think) on a bolt then hammered the threads. On the bolt without the never seize, the bolt broke when tring to remove the nut. on the other one he put the never sieze on the hammered threads and the nut came off without breaking the bolt. so any time I have threads exsposed were they are rusty or slightly damaged, I put it on and it seems to help better than penitrating oil.

NRath

#10 Post by NRath »

That's a good tip to file away. I bet it'll come in handy someday!