Christmas present

BlackToothGrin

#1 Post by BlackToothGrin »

My boss wants to by a quad for his 11 year old son for Christmas but doesn't know what to get. I don't think the kid has ever been on anything motorized before so what would be a good quad for him to start out on? Something that he won't out grow too soon that also has a throttle governor. I don't know that much about kid size quads but would like to steer him in the right direction. Any help would be great.

Kuma

#2 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (BlackToothGrin @ Dec 16 2011, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My boss wants to by a quad for his 11 year old son for Christmas but doesn't know what to get. I don't think the kid has ever been on anything motorized before so what would be a good quad for him to start out on? Something that he won't out grow too soon that also has a throttle governor. I don't know that much about kid size quads but would like to steer him in the right direction. Any help would be great.

It all depends on what type of riding he'll be doing.
does he need a tractor quad or a sport quad? My kids started on a 50, then to a suzuki 80, Blaster and now on a full sized TRX250R, He's probably at the Blaster size, they are simple to maintain, he'll be learning to use a clutch and shift. I don't recall if they have a screw on the throttle but I would think it would be easy enough to rig up.
I'm sure someone else will have a good mid sized 4 stroke to suggest.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Raptor250 he will have fun on that till he can buy his own.Keep it stock dont buy a modded one.

MX Quad Dad

#4 Post by MX Quad Dad »

An 11 year old with no experiance. I do agree learning the use of a clutch is a must but can discurage.

his size and weight should be something to add into the debate.

My son started at about 8 or 9 on a lt50 rode the snot out that. I bought him a honda 90 at 11 and I would love to have had an odometer on that thing. some time my wife or I would ride the 90 and he would ride the 50. That 90 carried an adult pretty good but he out grew the 50 so bad I was able to talk the wife into a quad for me. I think that 90 let him develop his skills as a rider and he went from the 90 to a Banshee at 14 with no problems with the clutch.

Not sure about the new ones but one thing I liked but didn't use was they came with a ristrictor for the intake so if the kid gets the idea of backing off the throttle stop it caan only do so much. I think parental supervision is the best but I've seen some stuff I don't like to think about