New Website Ideas

kdeal

#1 Post by kdeal »

Hey Gang,

I recently acquired the site from Tim and I am possibly looking for ideas on what we need and some other issues. The software is very dated and not very useful. I would like to update it to newer software that has a lot of advantages over the current stuff. Problem is it's not a one shot purchase. It is a yearly renewal issue. Since ads are not going to happen anytime soon, is anybody interested in a membership yearly fee or donation to help keep the site and info coming? I would like to combine several things in the site such as an archive, pictures, videos, etc. Give me your input.

Ken

bigfoot17

#2 Post by bigfoot17 »

Not sure if this is possible. But just throwing it out there. When I had a Kawasaki KDX, there is a forum called justkdx. It is part of a site called Dirtrider.net. Maybe they would allow you to add Cannondaleriders as another specialty forum on their site.

promod

#3 Post by promod »

Kdeal,

I myself would love to see this forum keep going as its more personalized than FB is to me, and have enjoyed the many, many years I have been a member of it and made many friends here during those years!

I know a lot of other members have moved over to the FB Cannondale site, But I myself will NEVER join FB or ever be a member of FB because of my own personal reasons ....But I'm just a old school kinda guy....I mean look at what I ride and collect and the music I listen to....That's my life and how I live!

But to keep this forum going although not much activity has been going on in awhile!.....I myself would be happy to pay a reasonable fee yearly or whatever to keep it going as there is a wealth of information on here and a lot provided by the key members like yourself and Wisetech and many, many others that have contributed so much to this forum over the many years it has been up!

Plus the humor that's gets thrown in by my Brother Mr. Foot!

But anyway that's my thoughts and personal opinion on this subject....which in reality that and $1 wont even buy you a good cup of Coffee!

Ciao!, Mike W.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2215216
This pretty much sums it up.
For a forum to compete with traffic from Facebook you need something to keep it interesting and active. Pictures are a big one and a way to get daily notifications of activity automatically . On this site you need to log in and hit the view new posts button manually to see if anything has happened. If someone asks a question it might be days or even weeks before an answer is given because whoever is left here doesnt even know it was posted. On facebook it can be seconds . Of course from what Ive seen facebook answers will be hearsay and wrong but at least they will be answered immediately.
As far as financing the web site post up how much is needed and ask for donations for a game or giveaway. Ex. Remember the christmas crank fairy game? Had we had a donation for every guess the site could have made money for the yearly fee . Shirt/hat/parts/labor/discount/calender giveaways all could help finance the yearly fees. How much is needed anyway ?

promod

#5 Post by promod »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 25 2019, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2215216
This pretty much sums it up.
For a forum to compete with traffic from Facebook you need something to keep it interesting and active. Pictures are a big one and a way to get daily notifications of activity automatically . On this site you need to log in and hit the view new posts button manually to see if anything has happened. If someone asks a question it might be days or even weeks before an answer is given because whoever is left here doesnt even know it was posted. On facebook it can be seconds . Of course from what Ive seen facebook answers will be hearsay and wrong but at least they will be answered immediately.
As far as financing the web site post up how much is needed and ask for donations for a game or giveaway. Ex. Remember the christmas crank fairy game? Had we had a donation for every guess the site could have made money for the yearly fee . Shirt/hat/parts/labor/discount/calender giveaways all could help finance the yearly fees. How much is needed anyway ?

OK, I read all the stuff you supplied the link about....basically FB vs. Forums!

But from what I read and what you said, ....Yes I agree there are advantages to FB, ....But some of those reviews on there (although minor) were also on the negative parts of being on FB which is why its just not for me and never will be! ....Still believe its "Big Brother" watching you as you fill in the blanks and give them the info just as Microsoft does now! ....And don't tell me they don't because the evidence is all over your PC or other same type device if you just look no matter if location or tracking is turned off or what!

But if this was my forum I would let it ride out until the end if I could keep it going financially somehow! ....Again just my honest opinion only and nothing more!

And also IMHO I believe FB's demise is just a matter of time! ....It may not be tomorrow, next week or next year but I believe it will eventually happen and be replaced with something even more advanced!

Like I said I'm just old school all the way! ....I don't text, tweet, Skype, twat, FB or whatever and I don't even use a smart phone or want one! ....My only contact methods are by talking into a phone or email!, ....Just not a social media person at all!

But with all above said I mean no disrespect in anyway to anyone that uses, or are members or/of whatever you do on FB! ....To each his own is how I believe and what its all about.

But if this forum ends I guess I will just be out of the C'Dale social click! ....But I sure will miss all my friends I have made over the many years on here!

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

I'm not sure on the cost. The guy who has given his all for the last several years is Happyboy. He has been hosting and making repairs on the run. He no longer owns Dales and it has become a burden with his active family. I want to have a kind of turn key site with several avenues. I will check out a few options and post in a bit.

Thanks,
Ken

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

I sent some bucks to Tim's Paypal a couple of times, but that was way back before Happyboy may have started helping out. So quiet here in recent years.
But I could also refer more traffic back here

Starquestjoe

#8 Post by Starquestjoe »

Im willing to help with money to keep it going. This site has helped me greatly. I dont have failbook and never will. So this site is all i have

funmachines

#9 Post by funmachines »

I'll put something in but there just isn't much discussion. It would sure be great if there was a way to get all the archives for the old Cannondaler site. There was a lot of good motorcycle info that is lost.

kdeal

#10 Post by kdeal »

Thanks guys. I'm enjoying some down time at my house in Georgia. Pulling parts too! I will address this a little deeper when I return.

Ken