dual battery setup

haydug

dual battery setup

#1 Post by haydug »

I placed an order today for 6 batteries to make the dual battery setup. I have been queastioned several time about it, so I decided to make a "bolt in" kit. The price is not set in stone yet, but I can tell you what it will entail:
battery
pre-made cables with ends
aluminum battery box, with hold down. They should be ready in two weeks, 3 weeks tops.
The second battery will mount between the fraim rails in front of the steering stem. There will be two ways to wire this.
1: 24v to the starter, like Jeff@quadshop has on his bike. I ran this setup and it works great. BUT, you do have to manually charge your 2nd battery.
2: 12v to the starter, both batteries wired together, basically the same as jump starting your quad. This will allow the 2nd battery to be charged, but won't start quite as quick as 24v.

The first kit is for my GNCC bike, so that leaves 5 for sale, I guess first 5 responses will have first shot at them as soon as they are done. If there is a positive response and everyone is happy, maybe I'll make some more. Thanks guys.

I am trying to keep this price as low as possible. So for look for price to be $100-$150

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

Haydug put me down for one.

DMAC10

Dual Batteries

#3 Post by DMAC10 »

I'm running this dual battery setup and it works great. Yes you will have to manually charge the second battery from time to time, but nothing cumbersom. Also make sure that you keep the connections tight on the second battery. If not the Dale will not start at all.
Thanks to Jeff at the Quad Shop for explaining to me how to do this.
:clap: :usa

I would recomend it to anyone that will be running Hare Scramble races with dead engine starts.smile.gif

LapTraffic

#4 Post by LapTraffic »

Something to note on dual battery setups run in parrallel (12vdc to the starter) The voltage regulator will not be able to distinguish between battery states and could overcharge one whil trying to chage the other. So says my boat mechanic guru. Battery isolation is a must.

I'm not the expert though, just passing on what I heard.

haydug

#5 Post by haydug »

isulator?? Good call Lap!! I'll check into this for sure.

Jammer72

#6 Post by Jammer72 »

Yep your gonna need to isolate the batteries otherwise your gonna cook them. Whenever you add a second battery to any vehicle normally you add one. I always have anyway whenever I added a second battery to add a winch to my 4x4's. A little pricey but I never lost a battery.

thomez

#7 Post by thomez »

I wonder why Jeff hasn't had a problem?

DangerRanger

#8 Post by DangerRanger »

Jeff runs the 24volt system, it doesn't affect charging like the 12v in parelell. You need to isolate the battery (painless sells a small kit) or you will fry you stator and possibly the regulator.

ben

DMAC10

Dual Batteries

#9 Post by DMAC10 »

Yes it is a safe set-up, I've been running the same set-up as Jeff since last Fall and no Problems. You just need 2 battery cables, a battery, and a way to SAFELY mount the battery between the front frame rails and your in business.

This weekend I'll try to get a picture or 2 and post them.

The quad only will charge the main battery, the second one is independant and gets no charging from the quad.

LapTraffic

#10 Post by LapTraffic »

So Positive is hooked to the power side of the starter relay and negative to the frame ground?