ATTN: FALICON crankshaft is coming!!

Happyboy

#141 Post by Happyboy »

Yeah, but the good thing is that the piston is nice enough to push them back where they came from.

cannondale27

#142 Post by cannondale27 »

The valve spring is what forces the valve closed if the rpms cause the spring pressure to be overcome they will bounce when they close bouncing valves is bad because the cylinder isnt sealed as it should be,valve is acting like a mini jackhammer on everything ,heat wont transfer out of the valve and into the head(valve is red hot when open for exhaust)and it can just cause failures.Been talking to Haydug about getting us some Hiperformance valves and springs since some of us need the 11500 rpm limit at least.

FaliconKen

#143 Post by FaliconKen »

Floating Valve - Normally, a valve is held against the cam by a spring. As the cam rotates, the face of the cam profile pushes the valve open, deeper into the combustion chamber. As the peak of the cam profile rotates away, spring pressure closes the valve. It all is working well, the spring keeps the valve pressed against the cam. Its a good thing.

But sometimes the spring can't keep the valve pressed against the cam and this is known as "valve float". When the valve does touch the cam face, the impact wears the cam. If you have a really bad case of valve float, the piston can into contact with the valve before it can get out of the way, bending the valve or snapping it off. Both are usually consider to be a "bad thing".

This can occur when valve spring are weak, when you have cams that have too sharp a profile, when you have drag in the valve stems, or when you overrev beyond what the valvetrain can take.

cannibalq8

#144 Post by cannibalq8 »

blackdiamondvalves...those r ppl made excellent job. i know a famous raptor builder use their custom valve spring.

Also Ferrea made very good custom valves.

CannondaleRider

#145 Post by CannondaleRider »

I may have missed something, but, Whats the latest?

acarli3

#146 Post by acarli3 »

haydug,

Keep me posted as I am still considering a rebuild this winter.

haydug

#147 Post by haydug »

Well, the lates is I love mine. It has 30 hours on the meter now, of which 99% is on a motocross track, being hammered. The torque is unreal, and the motor still has lots of overrev. I am now forced to put a top-end in this weekend, due to an improperly oiled filter, and riding in a dust bowl. The motor does run much smoother, and would I buy another one? Sure would, matter of fact got another coming for my woods bike now.

dalewannbe

#148 Post by dalewannbe »

let us know how your valve train looks after you get it pulled apart.

Do you have to get your piston shaved for the stroker crank?

acarli3

#149 Post by acarli3 »

haydug, do you need to use race gas to use the falicon stroker crank?

Also, on the cdale heads you are doing, what would it take to get the injectors reangled as well?

dalewannbe

#150 Post by dalewannbe »

timbo can reangle the injectors,

race gas would depend on your compression, now I don't know what compression Haydug is running?