Ported Head!!

Delaware152

#11 Post by Delaware152 »

That and probaly with what he had happen with a motor for me...it's a $50 insurance policy. lol

acarli3

#12 Post by acarli3 »

Is replacing the head going to require me to drop the engine? I haven't done it yet and not too excited about doing it.

azcannibal

#13 Post by azcannibal »

Yes. It's the best way to get familarized with your engine. It's not that hard with the right mechanical background.

Jaybr

#14 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by azcannibal
Yes.  It's the best way to get familarized with your engine.  It's not that hard with the right mechanical background.

You mean I was supposed to have a mechanical background before I tore into a motor?sad.gif

thomez

#15 Post by thomez »

Originally posted by Jaybr
You mean I was supposed to have a mechanical background before I tore into a motor?sad.gif

I don't :confused:

wanablaze

#16 Post by wanablaze »

Jay, I'm with you... I don't have any and I'm doing fine.

I just noticed that the head I got from doug is backwards, the exhaust and intake are on the wrong ends. Just kidding guys. A mechanical background definitely helps.

wanablaze

#17 Post by wanablaze »

Ok guys, sorry about the wait. I had the head bolted up ready to go last Saturday. The bike broke down for the first time and it was in no way related to the head. I was tuning it Saturday afternoon and the bike wouldn't idle real well and eventually died. Long story short, I needed a new stator real bad. Finally found one and it showed up this Sat.

Doug was right, you need to lean out the offset and richen the flowrate. (I went down quite a bit on the offset and up on the flowrate.) The bike is definitely snappier and more responsive. There is a huge part throttle improvement and the machine is very easy to wheelie even with bald tires. I was able to leave it in 3rd gear around the whole mx track except for one jump, i felt more confident going to forth than bouncing off the revlimiter.

As for the powercurve, Doug hit the nail on the head. The power delivery is smooth all around and ready to rip. I ran the moto speed map modified by Jaybr. The bottom end improvement wasn't noticeable right away. After getting some hours on it, it really pulls in the upper part of the midrange or lower topend. (Does that make sense?). Either way, there was a good improvement in power and when I let him ride it, my dad could tell an improvement right away. This head gives a healthier exhaust note and had no mechanical problems. I hope to run my buddy's stock cannibal soon for comparison purposes. I lined up next to my buddy's YFZ, but he modded it around the time I installed the head, so I couldn't do that. I was still ahead of him, though!

I would like to go back to the NAC's map as I feel that it's very aggressive. I am running 100 octane and hope I can get away with it. Doug, I'm almost ready to test those cams, put it on my tab. hehe.:eek:

For the money, i think this was a very good mod.
Thanx for reading, wanablaze. <.......broke, powerhungry kid:usa

azcannibal

#18 Post by azcannibal »

HAYDOUG- I am sending you my head. I want one of those redone heads from your new vendor.

Do I need to reference anything when I send my 03 head in?

haydug

#19 Post by haydug »

Just send it in a carefully wrapped box, I think UPS plays football with smaller boxes.

azcannibal

#20 Post by azcannibal »

It will be wrapped!