Kibblewhite valves/springs

azcannon

That's a big Nope

#51 Post by azcannon »

I am not interested in changing my powerband really, I can use it right where its at, I am keeping my stock head at 10,500 rpm though (on my speed ) but After timbo gets done with my head I am gonna crank up the rev to probably 12000 on my x440 - where I don't have to bang the limiter so much.
If you read the part where the buckets get hung up in their hole it makes perfect sense really.
I wish I had thought of it but I didnt . That is the reason for these low time valve pops in my opinion and I am not hearing anything else if it runs fine at one point and has the full rpm range your timing is good. If a valve hits a piston then there has to be a reason. The springs are weak stock ( or so I have read ) but that isn't enough if the buckets have too much resistance then you won't get the valve up fast enough with any spring , I know this is a stupid question but your last motor broke a valve right? ( mine did too ) what did you do to keep from reoccurring? Well the bucket may have played a part in that and disturbing the order it was in probably didn't cure the problem. I am very relieved for Timbo's post- maybe I am stupid and any dummie knew that about the buckets but I didnt , and now that I do I expect not to have any more problems with the valves breaking or floating provided I have kibblewhite springs or shimmed stock ones.
I think its pretty simple , we all know how everything else in our motor is how come some heads work fine and others have problems? This is my answer Springs and Buckets

Banshee Blues

#52 Post by Banshee Blues »

check the valve guides may be worn and spring pressure at installed height & open.

wanablaze

#53 Post by wanablaze »

I don't have as much knowledge as either Timbo or Doug, but I definitely agree on the bucket thing. When I reinstalled my head, I had one bucket that stuck, so my dad and I quickly sanded it. It moved better than before we sanded it, but not as well as the other three. A few hours later I had low compression. Sure enough one of the valves had bent without ever touching the piston. I wish I'd marked the bucket so that I could verify that it was the one that locked up, but I didn't.

Just my experience, wanablaze.

cannondale27

#54 Post by cannondale27 »

Another thing to consider with the buckets is if you can see the distortion the size of shim right in middle odds are the bucket is also distorted on the sides.Kind of like if you hit the bottom of a tin can it indents the bottom but pulls in the sides.Add some heat and it is very believable that they could even sieze up in the bore.

cdalerider75

#55 Post by cdalerider75 »

I would just like to point out that Cannondaler27 told me to replace my buckets, he even pointed out the ring outline from the shims. I did not take his advice, not sure why but something that I thought was not going to kill out another set of valves. I am ordering a new set of valves and buckets this time.

cannondale27

#56 Post by cannondale27 »

I actually gave you that advice because I have seen shims come right through the buckets!Not thinking of sticking or distortion.I was looking at jays pics and I believe they are a comparison of stock to the Kibblewhites.

cdrookie

#57 Post by cdrookie »

Originally posted by cdembek
I am ordering a new set of valves and buckets this time.

and i'd return the timing back to stock also...

cannondale27

#58 Post by cannondale27 »

I just got my set of Kibblewhite valves and springs.They sure do look to be better quality than the stockers I have in right now.Hopefully wont need the Kibblewhites till this winter when I do my yearly top end rebuild.In meantime I will check the specs on the springs.But we gotem now.Haydug plans on having these in stock so we should be set with the best valves and springs money can buy.Thanks Haydug for putting up with all the headaches.Should be worth it.

GDITheman

#59 Post by GDITheman »

i just got a pm from haydug about the valves. my 468 should be coming home soon.:head:

cannondale27

#60 Post by cannondale27 »

I know Wistech just got his today.So they are on the way.Doug is just the middle man who gets it done.