THE RACE

Guy310

#31 Post by Guy310 »

I am still going. And XCDale, we live very close to each other, you should drop me a line sometime so we can ride together.

dalewannbe

#32 Post by dalewannbe »

QUOTE (Guy310 @ Oct 24 2006, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am still going. And XCDale, we live very close to each other, you should drop me a line sometime so we can ride together.

Guy,
What time do you plan on arriving? I'm still planning on bring you some tires mounted on honda rims, correct?

27, I'll miss you. ----> I plan on redeeming myself this year.

DJ or wanablaze, are either of you going to be there?

cannondale27

#33 Post by cannondale27 »

I might bring my daughter down there to watch.If we take the car it would be affordable for sure.I do believe Wanablaze is also going to be spectating.

XCDale

#34 Post by XCDale »

How did the iron man go?

The Ironman went really well. I ended up doing 3 laps and could have gone around again but the radiator on the Z was packed with mud and I didn't really think I had the energy to pull myself out of the ruts if I got stuck again, which was almost guranteed. I had a great time, especially because I didn't get dead last, and I didn't tumble down any hills this year.

Guy310

#35 Post by Guy310 »

I think about 9:00. Is that early enough? I definitely still need the 4+1 offsets if you could. It should take about 2 1/2 hours for me to get there.

dalewannbe

#36 Post by dalewannbe »

QUOTE (Guy310 @ Oct 24 2006, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think about 9:00. Is that early enough? I definitely still need the 4+1 offsets if you could. It should take about 2 1/2 hours for me to get there.

I'll try and get there around the same time. I'm notoriously late, though. RX440 is normally helping me get to the line on time. Come to think about it, the 2 times he has helped me changed tires, I've done really well. RX440 you need to make the trip just for that reason. biggrin.gif

I'll definitely bring the honda rims and tires for you Guy. my cell is 815.718.5336 if you have any questions or need anything.

I'm running my big 22" rear all trac tires for this race.

27 that would be cool to see you there.

Guy310

#37 Post by Guy310 »

I am all packed up and I am going to bed. I hope to see lots of other Dalers at THE RACE, I will do my best to kick some Jap Butt.

dalewannbe

#38 Post by dalewannbe »

The Race:

It was great meeting Guy and seeing Wannablaze again. My buddy, he won the plus 30 class 2 years ago, he moved and came back to do The Race was there also.

Mud was in order for this race and the water crossing had more water in them then normal also.

They had us line up with the PRO and A Class riders, so there was about 25-30 riders in our line for the start. Kinda sucks having that many quads on the starting line because it was hard to gauge where I was at.

It was a 200 yard dash around a grain wagon, then about another 100 yards around another grain wagon and back onto a muddy motocross section. I????????m guessing I was mid pack on the start, slowed down some on the moto cross track to remove a tear off, had the tears offs on the wrong side, throttle side. So when I left off the throttle to remove the tear off I lost a few more positions. We head back to the deep peat dirt whoop section. Guy is right behind me at this time. They didn????????t do this section last year, but it is part of the Moose Run, so xcdale knows about those whoops. A pro rider (who ended up 2nd) blows by me, so that got me thinking I????????m moving slow. We get to a clearing, its sandy whoops across a small field, and I made my first pass. I????????m riding the guy ahead of me as well and I decide to try and get around him in some muddy whoops. That wasn????????t a good move and it bucked me sideways a little. Guy and another rider get around me there.

We get to the first water crossing after going across the road. I get passed by another pro there and I decide to follow him to make a pass as well. In doing so I miss the spot where I know is a good spot to cross. So I get stuck, I get in the water and push and hammer the throttle to get free. I got unstuck pretty fast, but my boots were full of cold water and my pants and gloves were soaked as well. So now my butt slides all over my seat and my right grip starts acting like a twist throttle. I did get by several riders there though.
My next incident was when my front tire clipped a tire in a small woods sections before the 2nd road cross. No one could pass me there though as I had the trail blocked. So I make it to the big water crossing from there, making pretty good time. I passed three riders as one guy was stuck causing a bottle neck, so I blazed my own trail.

I had no idea how I was doing at this time as I see Wanablaze and I pass on the opportunity for fresh goggles. I got by another rider there that was hung up getting out of the creek. I get passed in the big the big field after the big creek crossing, I took a bad line but I get by that rider, as he went wide going into the culvert under the road. I stayed close to the wall so I didn????????t fall off the edge.

Right before the check point after going through the muddy motocross I take out some yellow tape and I get a butt chewing at the checkpoint. My goggles were muddy, and I????????m used to the track making a right there.

As I round pit row, Guy pulls out in front of me. I following him out to the deep whoops and there he just leaves me in his dust. I????????m pushing to try and keep up with him, so I was making good time. I make it through the first water crossing with no problem this time and I????????m back in the woods section of the pasture. I catch Guy and he lets me pass, he????????s obliviously having problems. I make it to the small woods section I smacked at tree at on the first lap. I slow down to avoid trees this time, but I guess I didn????????t slow down enough. I hit a tree good enough to throw me off, and my quad dropped back on all fourwheels and kept moving in first gear. I had to run and catch the quad. This hit must have broken my steering stabilizer linkeage. After getting back into the real tight woods, I found out I couldn????????t turn my handle bars to the left. Sometimes it would turn and other times it wouldn????????t so after this happened like three times, I got off the quad and realized what happened. I was pretty disappointed and several riders passed me during this time as I was constantly pushing my quad off trees. I finally realize that if I push the broken piece pointing back it wouldn????????t catch my frame. Well that seemed to work as I was able to steer, but I was still too worried about hitting a tree because of lack of steering so I took it easy to the creek crossing. There I stop to talk with Wanablaze and a friend. I tell them I????????m going to finish this lap and then call it a day, so I????????ll meet them at the pits. Just then my buddy (on a predator) and a good B class rider go by. I decide to follow them. So I make pretty good time finishing lap 2. I decide to keep going and I head out for lap 3. By this time my steering is really getting bad, like real loose, and my steering stem was moving up and down. I basically limp around lap 3 just to finish the race. Way in the back I????????m following a line and see a rider buried in the mudd. I stop but the rutts are so big I????????m struggling to free my quad. The guy comes over to help me out, which I probably would have eventually got my quad free, but because he helped me out, I figured I owed it too him to help him out. Well the guy is Kevin Johson (this is for RX440 and xcdale) and he????????s in my class. He definitely would not have gotten out without my help. So he beats me back as I was in limp mode. In the field right before the motocross section (near the checkpoint), I come across my buddy????????s predator, as he ran out of gas, so I gave him a ride back.
I finish the race and access the damage to my quad. My steering stem is being held down by one cartridge bolt and its about half way loose. The other bolt is missing. My chain is really loose and my rear hub has some wiggle to it.

Come to find out I managed to get 4th out of 13 in the 30+ class. I beat my buddy who called it quits after 2 laps, so that was good. According to wanablaze, Guy and I were somewhere in the 4th to 6th spot overall after the first creek crossing, so we were moving pretty good. I was definitely making good time the 2nd lap before the broken steering stabilizer linkage.

Well I????????m officially burnt out for the year. I hope to get the quad fixed over the winter and do a little racing next year. Guy mentioned something about racing at Fox Valley next year. I????????d be willing to do that. It was nice meeting another great forum member.