Ironman GNCC Report

DMAC10

#1 Post by DMAC10 »

First things first, I SURVIVED smile.gif

Well I competed in my first race in 2 years with almost no ride time and minimal training. So I guess I wasn't overly prepared.

My main goal at the Ironman was to finish and beat my buddy, who talked me in to doing this race.

So an entertaining story about the race. Don't laugh to much wink.gif

Beautiful day to race, Everyone was talking how bad the course was getting after the morning classes, lots of deep ruts and the creek crossing were getting bad, even the guy announcing warned everyone about the crossing and the big down hills. So with all this info I was glad to have decided on running the 22" tires on the back.

Well we line up, only 15 quads in the 40+ class, my thinking at the line was to start clean and ride smart. So we're at the line, and its our classes turn, flag goes green and I hit the start button, nothing, Oh S***T I think, so not panicing yet, I turn the key off and back on and hit the start button, Houston we have iginition( I don't think I had the key all the way on DAAAAA) So off the line I go I catch one guy and pass him by the first turn, so at least I'm not last. Dale running great, I catch the pack by the time we reach the woods. So into the woods we go , no time to settle in the ruts are there as soon as we hit the trees, no problem, I start picking guys off one at a time, man I'm thinking this is fun. The dale was hooking up great and running fine. We hit a couple of creek crossing and I make another couple of passes by picking faster lines. So we're well into the first lap and I'm figuring I'm up to about 7th, but who knows, to much mud, hit the next big creek crossing, I hesitate to make sure I pick a good line, I'm watching A guy on the middle line and he's about to thirds up, the other lines are bottlenecking, so I hammer on the middle line, didn't recheck the guy, he had got stuck, well I try to get out of the ruts to go around him and that was the beginning of the end, toooo much mud and too deep of ruts. I hit the guy dead center,. There I sit, I can't go anywhere, they finally get the guy out of the way and start working on me. I'm off the quad tugging, pushing what ever it takes, we finally get me out and away I go. Now I figure I'm dead last. Oh well maybe I can catch up if some offf the other guys mess up. Finish the rest of the first lap, Wow I'm running 13th, I can't believe 2 other guys had more trouble than me. So I continue on the 2nd lap, all off a sudden both my calf muscle start cramping up, I couldn't even lift my toes to shift gears, but I wasn't going to quit, I ended up getting stuck a couple of different times on that lap as well , as having to go slower because I couldn't stand up because of the cramping. I finish the 2nd lap still 13th, still not last, but my legs are really hurting by now, but I was determined to finish, so I decide to go on , I know as slow as I'm going that this will be the last lap. So I continue this torture trip, I make another bad decision and get stuck in a major mud hole, water was up to my knees it took 6 guys to help get me out. Well now my gloves are soaked and muddy and I'm totally Pissed, so I just start hammering the best I can, that didn't last long, I'm not exactly sure what happened, but the next thing I know is I'm getting my old butt up off the ground, air born in the woods, that could have ben ugly, no idea what happen, started to walk back to the dale and both calves lock up tight, man I hit the ground cussing. Not sure how long it took to stop the cramping but finally I got back on the dale. Still determined to finished, got stuck in a deep rut just because I couldn't hold the handlebars tight enough to get through with much speed. Finally I see the 8 mile marker, only 2 miles, I know I can make it now, came out into the open fields, had to stop again the calves were locking up on me, then I see my buddies blue Yamaha, come out of the woods and pass me. Man that really blows, now I'm getting beat my buddy, well I fire the dale and and decide there is no way I'm going to let him beat me I can rub my legs at the truck. So I get on the gas with all that I have( which I'm not sure how much that was because my hands were numb)
Anyway I catch my buddy and make a pass, man the dale is running great, I'm still having trouble shifting, but I've got to beat him. Well we get back to the woods and I'm determined not to let him catch me. So I just grit my teeth and punch it for the last couple of miles. I hit the finish line and I'm still in 13th position. laugh.gif

Well my finishing position sucked, but I beat my buddy and I finished the race. The dale ran like a dream and had no problems or damage. I get to the truck, get off the dale and both legs cramp, major cramping, so it took a while to get the old legs to relax. This is the first time I've ever had leg cramps during a race, so I think I figured out the problem, my lower knee brace straps were on too tight, (bonehead move). mad.gif So between that and wearing a pair of gloves that were alittle to tight I was doomed from the start. But overall I enjoyed the race I definantly know why they call it the Ironman.

Not a good showing for the dale, but in reality I knew that I wasn't ready, but I'm glad that the dale ran so well with ZERO mechanicla troubles.

Hope everyone enyoys the comedy routine for a story.

But I finished the IRONMAN cool.gif

Later DMAC10

Guy310

#2 Post by Guy310 »

Awesome!!!!!

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

That is great!I was wondering how bad it would be with all the rain lately.Just finishing is a great accomplishment and beating a buddy oon a YFZ is iceing on cake.Congratulations!

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

Way to go Donnie. It's a victory for us old guys (you finished & you weren't last!).

NRath

#5 Post by NRath »

I've got to say you're a winner just because you actually entered the race, competed, and finished!! Even better, you shared the story with us!!! Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

Well that was definitely exciting and entertaining. I got this mental picture of you on the ground rubbing your legs. LMAO. I consider it a good showing for the cdale because it finished! Nice work. So whats next? Midsouths?

DMAC10

#7 Post by DMAC10 »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Oct 24 2006, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well that was definitely exciting and entertaining. I got this mental picture of you on the ground rubbing your legs. LMAO. I consider it a good showing for the cdale because it finished! Nice work. So whats next? Midsouths?

Hey Kdeal
I won't go blind rubbing my legs will I??? LOL rolleyes.gif

Jess
I still have that mental picture and it gets refreshed everytime I take a step. It seems that everytime I race it ends up being entertaining, either for me or the people watching, and sometimes both. cool.gif I could have been a star, or at least make it on the funniest video show.LOL tongue.gif

Actually I've been checking out the MidSouth schedule today. By the way it looks I may not try until the Alabama race in January, but a couple of the guys from around here are trying to get me to go sooner. I was thinking of going to the Balance MX race this weekend, but their calling for ran the rest of the week. Man with my experience at the Ironman I may have to bolt on the GNCC's and hit the track, with all the mud I won't have to worry about the big jumps. LOL