My first ice race

2000ex

#1 Post by 2000ex »

Finally got the chance to run the dale on the ice and let me say that the horsepower made up for my lack of tire setup. I went out for the first heat, pulled the holeshot and walked away. I was however having a major problem in the corners as the front end was just pushing like crazy so it was hard carrying any sort of corner speed.

Went out for the main and was 2nd out of 10 off the start but got passed on the last lap because I got held up by a lapper and held on for 3rd. A great learning experience and I will have a very different setup for next sunday. The hot tire setup for the fronts was ITP Sand Stars with two ribs down the center studded with a single stud on each rib. The pro guy who walked away from everyone on his Laeger CRF had this setup and he could HAMMER into the turns and hold the line like he was on rails.

Thank god I had the power down the straights because my corner speed was not nearly the way I want it to ride. What are you all using for tires? This was an outdoor 1/4 mile oval.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Hey that would work for fronts! Never thought of that. Alot of guys around here use the old Riken radial cut front we used to run MX with. I just use Trailwolfs.

2000ex

#3 Post by 2000ex »

The two ribs work exactly like double runner ice skates and you can really carve the corners

mydreamride

#4 Post by mydreamride »

I'm using klaw mx fronts with cheng shin rears, but I've been doing the TT style races and I'm still fighting traction issuses. I think my traction issues is suspesion setup issue (mainly rear shock), but I'm working on it and determined to improve. For up by me it seems that the front tire selection wasn't so critical, saw everything from riken radials to fast trekkers to razrs (all studed of course).

iceracer17

#5 Post by iceracer17 »

Rib tires work fine if you can stay in the groove. But trying to pass in the snow dust they wash out. We use to run what they called tractor tires on the front back in the early 90's with 2 ribs studded. The best i've found were bridgestone dirt hook fronts with pretty hard nonflexible knobs.