First Drag Race of Season

cannondalemaine

#1 Post by cannondalemaine »

Well I have been counting down the days until the local bracket racing starts. May 2nd will be the first event of the season. It is bracket racing but it should be fun anyway. With how much work is going on right now it really hard to do anything else in other states so I have to settle for this. The past couple of days I have just been checking bolts and making sure everything is tight. This will be the maiden voyage for my freshly built drag quad so the nitrous will not be applied the first race of the season. I will take pics of the other trail quads, banshees, trucks etc. I have a very good feeling I will be the fastest 4 stroke out there but there are alot of built banshees to contend with. I'm hoping for at least low 5's in the 300ft which I think may be possible. But anyways will update the day after the race.

gml1998

#2 Post by gml1998 »

Make sure you post pics or even a video of your races.
I wish there were events like that near me,I'm a very good spectator. laugh.gif

speedracer

#3 Post by speedracer »

My friend and I were at St. Joe last Sunday, he just finished his big bore Raptor and was looking to get some ballpart times in the sand. We measured off 300 ft. did some passes. Now this was just with a stopwatch, his best 4.9 dry sand, straight paddles +4 swinger. Mine was a 467 dynoed @ 56.5hp. My best time 5.1 with a stock length swinger, straight paddles also. You should have no problem with low 5's off the gas. Good-luck with them dang shees!

cannondalemaine

#4 Post by cannondalemaine »

Today I finally got to try out my drag quad. I have only taken it for 2 rips down the road before today. My test runs were terrible and my times were all over the place because I didn't know where to sit to launch the best. But after a couple runs I got it down to a consistent 5.3 but my reaction time was not anywhere close where I wanted it to be. I ended up coming in 4th of 18 which wasn't too bad. I have a couple vids and pics that I will post soon and I am real happy to say I had the fastest four stroke quad out there today but a 470 kitted 450r was nipping at my heels. So hopefully I will get the reaction time down enough to maybe catch a 5.1 or a 5.0 we will see.

2000ex

#5 Post by 2000ex »

Great job Jeff! There is no substitute for practice and seat time.

cannondalemaine

#6 Post by cannondalemaine »

I ended up changing out my 15 tooth front sprocket for a 14 to see if it would make a difference. Right now I have 21-12-8 8 paddle Skat Trak Haulers and I am going to be using my nitrous in a couple events from now and was just wondering should I switch to something bigger like a 10 paddle Skat Trak design? I know it will hook up alot better and in theory should give me a quicker time than my 8 paddles correct? I did notice on most of the higher hp quads like mine they were using 10-12 paddle skat trak extremes, any suggestions on paddles or anything to get a quicker ET would be awesome thanks.

cdsracer

#7 Post by cdsracer »

Way cool Jeff! I'd love to see some videos!!

claas900

#8 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (cdsracer @ May 5 2010, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Way cool Jeff! I'd love to see some videos!!

It depends how long the strip is. If you need long legs less paddles, if you have a short run more paddles. If I remember right Extremes are only a heavier paddle and not really a taller blade, so thats just more weight. Sometimes you need less paddles to help launch better. The sand/dirt moister makes a big different, sometimes stock tries will work great other times they wont. The best thing is to pratice,pratice and beg still borrow different tires to see what you like best.
I run 14-42 sometimes 14-40 on my 495 with 21X12X8 7 paddles, stock swingarm. But most of my races are longer then 300ft.

cannondalemaine

#9 Post by cannondalemaine »

Well here is a couple pics of the first race, atv's and trucks. I only got 2 runs on video, one was a bye run and the other was against a 250r 3 wheeler with just over 65 hp. I have another event next weekend at a different track and will be testing out my new video camera so should have a bunch more video and pictures. Most of the banshees were built by the guy in the pic with the red and purple ones and easily push at least 80 hp but the red one pushes over 115hp. Hopefully there will be a few more 4-stroke machines at the next event.

cannondalemaine

#10 Post by cannondalemaine »

A few more pics, will get the link for the 2 runs soon. The truck in the pic is named Tidal Wave and man does it Roost!!! blink.gif