Proud new 'Dale owner and member

tajmahal420

#1 Post by tajmahal420 »

I co-own an ATV rental bus. in Southwest Colorado, and my partner's brother in Palm Springs, Ca. had a few quads he was trying to sell us. One was an '03 Polaris Scrambler 400, and the other was an '03 Cannondale Glamis.

I never heard of Cannondale manufacturing quads, just bicycles, so that got me a little interested. After taking it for a ride, I was VERY interested. I WANTED IT, for two reasons: 1-it's a bad azz machine, and 2-We can't rent it out, 'cuz someone will destroy it, or kill themselves. So, I picked it up for $4K.

It's completely stock, except for the Big Gun Race Series exhaust. Barely ridden, too. I think it has around 20 hours on it. The previous owner only rode it once or twice. I took it for a couple rides up the mountain since buying it, but I'm staying off it until I get some AT tires. The Sand Sharks don't do to well on the terrain here. They did great on the frozen lake with a couple of inches of snow on the ice, though. It was clocked at 75 mph with a snowmobile riding alongside to gauge the speed.

So, I've been researching my new "baby" and came along your forum. You all seem pretty knowledgeable, and I've learned quite a bit. Any info on inexpensive things I can do for it in the short term would be greatly appreciated. Should I modify it, or try and keep it stock as long as possible, because of its rarity? I'm no racer, just a pleasure rider, but I'm sure that down the road I'm going to need to do some maintenance and repairs, etc.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Welcome!A Glamis in the snow would make a cool looking picture.Do a search for updates.Dont get scared away by them it is well worth it.If you have to.Do one at a time starting with Evans Coolant and a good cleaning of waterpump bleed hole,engine mount update and visual of internal bolts.All that takes less than $100 and a couple hrs.I will say that if you do everything including crank Rodbearing to Z400 now.You can probably save some $ since the longer crank is run the worse it will wear till it isnt rebuildable.

wayneschofield

#3 Post by wayneschofield »

Here here!

Welcome to Cannondale ownership....

Don't do as I did with my first one and think "oh, it'll be alright...." because it won't!

Don't use it, save up some pennies if you need to, and do the coolant/cam cover swap, sideplate bolts (canniboomer's 'blue bolts' fix is as good a solution as any that is readily available), Z400 bearing, front mount kit, oil pipe update and install some magnets (try kdeal for them I think).

There are many other 'updates' but these are the most important I feel....

Then enjoy.....