autoclutches

haydug

#11 Post by haydug »

Originally posted by Happyboy
This is the part that is a little weird.  Like I said, Rekluse only designed it to work 1 way.  And as it turns out they used a hydro clutch with the design.  I have done some R&D on using the manual clutch with it but failed up at the dunes.  I have started over and its working great now without the clutch level so now I just need to put the lever back on and play some more.  So at this point, they have no way of making it work with the manual clutch unless you just make it work through some creative R&D like I have done.  

After spending about 1/2 hour yesterday with Reckluse, this is very true. They seemed to not even know Cannondale made a "manual" clutch case. Their first recomendation was to install it in "full auto" feature, and get used to it that way. If their is enough interest, I may ship them a manual case bottom end, or they may ship me a clutch to try out, take some measurements, and do some R&D work with it. Obviously happy has done some of this also, so he should be included.
SO you basically have 2 options for the auto setup

#1: full auto, install it, throw away your clutch perch assembly and go ride

#2: leave your clutch lever on the bars, and use it if you feel the need.

C41xcracer: If you can a hydro clutch bike, then you will be able to use your clutch as normal, if you feel the need. Otherwise, you can ride it and forget all about haveing a clutch lever up there.

CC RIDER: check your pm's, you have a price sitting there.

Happyboy

#12 Post by Happyboy »

yep yep. Now, after riding for a while without a clutch at all I have realized something. You don't need it!! It really is freaking amazing. For drags or something like that then yeah, you can gain a little bit from a clutch since you can rev it and drop the clutch, but I think you will gain more on a track without it. Just me though.

Doug, the guy you need to be talking to up there is Sean. He seemed to know the most about this and I worked with him on my R&D. I drilled a new throw out and modified a clutch self adjuster.

r.porter

#13 Post by r.porter »

Speaking of E-Bay, there is an add running for auto clutches $399 and free shipping. I don't know anything about them but it looks like they are going for volume sales with prices like that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REKLUSE-AUT...yZ34284QQrdZ1QQ

Happyboy

#14 Post by Happyboy »

Someone needs to report them to Rekluse. Selling like that is way unfair and breaking rules I am sure. Great deal for the buyer but not for other retailers.

badvox

Hijacked again...

#15 Post by badvox »

Sorry guys but this has me very interested.

I am wondering how the clutch works on hill climbs? Does it shift in plenty of time, on time, everytime? How about downhills, what is the effect there?

I cant seem to dial in my downhill shifting. Why? I suck! smile.gif

Thanks,
Mike

Happyboy

#16 Post by Happyboy »

You still shift. The autoclutch simply engages and disengages the clutch at a certain RPM. The hill climbs are easy as pie. The down hill sections are weird since the clutch will disengage and it will be a free fall. You can engage it going down a hill by reving the motor a little and then you will get engine braking.

Happyboy

#17 Post by Happyboy »

Originally posted by Canniboomer
Happy, what was that problem you had in the dunes with it?  Just an adjustment issue?, and all OK now?

Oh yeah. Well, its hard to say what really went wrong at the dunes. Since I had the manual clutch installed for testing I could have messed it up myself and had it partially engaged at idle and just wore it out. I personally don't think that was it. The next problem I had in there was that the clutch discs were very old and worn. They could have been worn to the point where this just pushed them over the edge. I was getting some slippage early on with those plates but since I installed a new pack I have had 0 problems.

Last thing I wonder about with Rekluse. Like I said before, they designed the install of the clutch with 1 version of the cdale motor. Since the clutch packs have changed also then the clutch height could have changed too. This just means you need to be very vigilant when measuring gaps during the install. The clutch is a royal pain in the arse to adjust after install but it is worth it.

If you guys want it I will write up an install addendum for this clutch. There are a few things that they don't mention or talk about changing that is different on the Cdale. I will just have to go back and figure them out again! smile.gif

CC RIDER

#18 Post by CC RIDER »

I've heard that you can convert your hydraulic clutch to control your rear brake. Personally, I'm too used to using my foot and I'd probably forget that it was there, pull in my clutch and lock the back tire up!!:eek:

I've contacted Rekluse for these, so I know how much $ they are charging. Obviously way inflated pricing. This company on E-bay is selling authentic Rekluse product, so they must be purchasing from Rekluse, unless these are cheap, illegal chinese knock-offs.
I'll get mine from haydug after Christmas is over and I have some toy mod funds available!:head:

DMAC10

Rekluse or not to Rekluse????

#19 Post by DMAC10 »

So after reading a lot of post on here about the auto-clutch.
The overall opinion was ????

So here's my question.

For an old man that thinks he's still young and has no skill at feathering a clutch, would this be a good investment??

Also Doug shoot me a P.M. with a price for the Rekluse and some new clutch friction plates.

badvox

Re: Rekluse or not to Rekluse????

#20 Post by badvox »

Originally posted by DMAC10
So after reading a lot of post on here about the auto-clutch.
The overall opinion was ????

So here's my question.

For an old man that thinks he's still young and has no skill at feathering a clutch, would this be a good investment??

Also Doug shoot me a P.M. with a price for the Rekuse and some new clutch friction plates.

Thats what Im thinking. Shoot we should start a new thread to discuss it? Or did we already do that? smile.gif

Mike