brand new tie rod end failed

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
djmc

#1 Post by djmc »

I bought 4 new tie rod ends from rodendsupply.com a couple of weeks ago. I was at the dunes for a week and after the last ride the left inside tie rod snapped just under the nut. Anyone else have a problem like this?

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

A break of the rod after an install points to over-torqueing of the jam nut which could have weakened the tie rod at the spot it stretched.... you must be a strong fella, right? We should all be more careful I guess, another new one to learn from.. thanks for the warning?biggrin.gif

djmc

broken tierod end

#3 Post by djmc »

I wish I was that strong. I provided the parts to a certified mechanic. The parts came with no instructions or torques specs indicated. Anyone have recommendations how much to torque these. I have to reorder the tierod end and I am not sure what hand thread the left inner end would be. Any suggestions?

djmc

#4 Post by djmc »

Update:
I called the manufacturer. After checking the part number they informed me that I was shipped the "economy" tierod end not the race ready teflon end that I requested. They are making it right by shipping me the upgraded ends and crediting the economy parts shipped. Glad to work with people that back up their product.

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

the tierod or tierod end snapped? You post said the tierod did.

djmc

#6 Post by djmc »

Originally posted by Happyboy
the tierod or tierod end snapped?  You post said the tierod did.

Take another look. In the title and the message block.

Canniboomer

Re: brand new tie rod end failed

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

Originally posted by djmc
...the left inside tie rod snapped just under the nut...

Yep, I read it that way also -- so my comment above N/A

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

OK smarta$$. Here is what you said...

I bought 4 new tie rod ends from rodendsupply.com a couple of weeks ago. I was at the dunes for a week and after the last ride the left inside tie rod snapped just under the nut. Anyone else have a problem like this?

So, which one is it??!! The tie rod END isn't under the nut so if it broke there it would be the tie rod.

djmc

#9 Post by djmc »

easy tiger! There was no intent to be cute. I sincerely felt I was clear in my statement. Save your breath because I don't waste my time with hotheads.

Craig_C

#10 Post by Craig_C »

Well my Blackwidow tie rod ends are as good as ever!