whats wrong with my steering stem

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
hnnblehscnnble

whats wrong with my steering stem

#1 Post by hnnblehscnnble »

long story short i flipped my quad not hard but afterwards i can jiggle my steering stem and when i slam the front end down i can feel it in the stem and i cant tighten it down anymore.its either i think i smasshed the bearings or it cmae loose where it clamps up towards the top.what u think?

kyle

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

The bearing clamp at the botom may be loose. Reach down towards where the bearing is a grab the stem and pull up and down this will show you what is loose. The stock bearing clamp always seems to work loose. Not saying you might have messed up the bearings.

hnnblehscnnble

#3 Post by hnnblehscnnble »

nope still loose..i tightend them and its still loose and its scary.

kyle

Derno24

#4 Post by Derno24 »

So you are saying it is not in the bearing clamp at the base of the stem? You would be able to see the play if it were at the bottom. Up and down play is all at the base of them stem forward and side to side could be the clamp higher on the stem.

hnnblehscnnble

#5 Post by hnnblehscnnble »

well i tightened the two bolts at the bottom of the steering stem the bearing holder and its still sliding up and down
i have a feeling the bearing sucks.

kyle

BigJosh

#6 Post by BigJosh »

You may have pushed the bottom of the stem through the bearing housing. they are very thin and have been known to do that. I just got a real nice thick after market one. We are having a guy duplicate them much stronger than the stock ones...

Big Dog

#7 Post by Big Dog »

on my dads name

okay well i have another steering stem bearing and plate that naz gave me and its not stock its a nicely built one ill try and install it today.suck a pain in the @$$ though.

kyle

BigJosh

#8 Post by BigJosh »

The after market ones are very nice just make sure you put it on with the right side up. Some of them are kinda confusing