Rear brake loose

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
ATKnewbie

Rear brake loose

#1 Post by ATKnewbie »

I have this feeling that after asking this the answer is going to be overly simple.
I was just cleaning up my dale and found that my rear disk is very loose.
You can wiggle the disk left to right and rotate it on the axle???
What is wrong?

wanablaze

#2 Post by wanablaze »

Try tightening the rear brake hub. I believe you remove the black triangular cover, loosen the bolts and adjust just like you do for the chain side (using an allen head for instance.).

Hopefully somebody with more knowledge will step up. P.S. I know this is covered in the owner's manual if you have one.

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

Mine is loose also. I haven't tried tightening it though. I guess I should do that. ohmy.gif

badvox

Uh oh

#4 Post by badvox »

I recently installed a moto-axle on mine. I didnt even stop to think about this but there is now a gap between the pre-load nut and the hub.

Hmm I should have asked this along time ago. But the pre-load nut is at the end of its threads already and will not go any further. So when you guys install the moto-axle do you usually put a spacer/washer in there of some kind?

Essentially my pre-load nut is holding air right now. sad.gif

~mike

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Be sure to use the half moon washers instead of snap rings in the stock adjusters. They will run out of adjustment and stop so the axle will still be loose. Running them loose will pound out the threads on the hubs and eventually strip. There are supposed to be 2 steel shims on each outer bearing to. You can add some if needed.

badvox

#6 Post by badvox »

Originally posted by wistech
Be sure to use the half moon washers instead of snap rings in the stock adjusters. They will run out of adjustment and stop so the axle will still be loose.  Running them loose will pound out the threads on the hubs and eventually strip. There are supposed to be 2 steel shims on each outer bearing to. You can add some if needed.

Was that intended for me? I think not since you said stock up there. But I have a question anyway. I remembered this because you mentioned the half moon washers.

The moto axle doesn't use the half moon washers as there is only space for the ring which I have and used. I think thats where I ended up with my gap because the gap is exactly as wide as the half moon washer.

On a moto-axle how am or was I supposed to take up that slack?

~mike

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Im not sure on the moto.