Tire and Wheel help?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
jshort

Tire and Wheel help?

#1 Post by jshort »

Guys,
I need help? I need some tire selection help. I trashed my front tires today and one of my stock rims. I hit a rock and it pinched my sidewall and bent my stock ITP rim about 2.5 inches from its original roundness. I ride XC only and where I ride is extremely rocky. I have 21x7x10 holeshot's and I slashed the sidewalls on both fronts today. I think I want to go up to a size 22 or even a 23. Are there any draw backs? Are there any that have some type of sidewall protection? It stinks to ruin you buddies day because you flat twice and then destroy your front rim. Please help with my two main questions below.

What brand and size would you recomend front & rear for XC riding only in an area that is extremely rocky?

What about wheel replacement? Something that is strong that will not break the bank?

Thanks to all!
Jason

MX Quad Dad

#2 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I believe the tires you were useing are designed for Motocross. I would think the XC tires are heavyer and also bigger.

It is also possible your tires got trashed because the rim bent.

I am sold on the carbon fiber Hypers. and in a sence you could say the will break the bank, but if you keep ruining tires, the bank is going to break anyways.

I have Hypers on my Speed but I don't really ride in those conditions.

My son raced quite a few MX races. Before we got his Moto He raced a Banshee. We put some aftermarket wheels on it and tore up quite a few tires. it was easy to straiten the wheels but almost allways ruined the tire when it got knocked off the rim. Then we ended up putting the stock wheels back on and I think the rolled edges eliminated the sidewalls from being cut when they went flat. I will also say we had excellant luck with the stock Moto wheels, But the Speed and the Cannibal came with what I believe was the same wheels (design) we put on the Banshee

jshort

#3 Post by jshort »

I feel that I should go with a 6 ply tire. What size is most popular on Cannondale's for XC riding. Should I do with a 22 or 23 inch front?

Where can I order tires online cheap? I think I want Maxxis.

Thanks,
Jason

CannondaleRider

#4 Post by CannondaleRider »

We use 23 inch fronts for desert riding....I would say 23", but i'm not sure if theres a drawback for XC riders or not.

If you go Maxxis, I'd say go with the Razr 2, they have a much stiffer sidewall then the Razr 1's..plus much deeper tread.

If your not sure on tires yet, check out the ITP Holeshot HD's, those are about the toughest tires i've ever seen, i've never rode on the fronts before, but the rears have an ungodly stiff sidewall, and hook up great.

For rims....what do you consider "Breaking the bank"....for Rocky conditions, the ITP T-9 Baja would work really well, and there not as expensive as a beadlock, but much tougher then a rolled edge rim.

You can get Maxxis Razr 2's, mounted on ITP T-9 Baja Rims, from Rocky Mountain ATV for about $315.00(Polished) or $325.00(Black)

........do I sound like a salesman or what...."just three easy payments of.....", lol:hammer:

Derno24

#5 Post by Derno24 »

Ok, this is what I ride almost endlessly. If you wanna go the cheaper route than Cannondalerider is right about the ITP Baja rims, but if you wanna buy and forget about it Hipers are the way to go without a doubt. I have 2-3 seasons on mine and beside buying new outer rings this year they still work flawlessly. I only bought the rings to make them look new.

Now for the Tires. Depends on what you want to do. Any oof the 3 sizes are fine. 21-23" Just depends on how much you get hung up. The difference will be with a 21" tire the steering will be faster and easier than a 23" tire. Trust me you wouldn't think it would make much of a difference, but after 2hrs of a harescramble or GNCC you feel it in your arms. Personally I used to use 22" tires all the time till this season then I switched to 21" and like the way I can steer much better.

Now for brand. My personal selection is the Maxxis Razor 2 front it has the best bite for quick turning and is as good as the HD's in puncture resistance. I feel like the HD's push too much in the front to work well. Now for the Back I like the HD rears. Better for higher speeds and they track well in the mud. You would be fine with front's and rears in either brand. Both are very similar in puncture resistance. Wear is also similar too. I have gotten a full season out of each tire if needed.

Hope that helps!