sprocket hub

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Blazinmoto

sprocket hub

#1 Post by Blazinmoto »

I have a RPM axle and sprocket hub. The sprocket hub has become very loose and it's got to be replaced. I already have a new hub but my question is does the hub have to be pressed off and on with press or can I do it my self. Never had to do one of these but the new hub has a snap ring in it already so the old one must be held in with a ring also. Thanx

311racer

#2 Post by 311racer »

You have to use a press. Remove the snap ring and press the hub off and press the new one and install the new snap ring! Its that easy if you have a press.

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

The sprocket hub will work it's way loose again. What you may want to do is find the loctite Farrar listed and use that on the old one first.

Blazinmoto

#4 Post by Blazinmoto »

Derno, are you talking of the sprocket hub or the brake hub? With the locktite part confusing me, where do you put it?
311racer, what kind of press?

MichiganMXer722

#5 Post by MichiganMXer722 »

All you need to do is get yourself a big pipe that slides over the axle and take a sledge hammer and beat the piss out of it. The hub will slide. Put the loct tite on splines where the sprocket hubs slides on.

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by Blazinmoto
Derno, are you talking of the sprocket hub or the brake hub? With the locktite part confusing me, where do you put it?
311racer, what kind of press?

I am talking about the sprocket hub. Farrar would be the one to PM about this as he has done it. He posted before to basically use it to fill the gap in the splines.

Blazinmoto

#7 Post by Blazinmoto »

Thanks for all the help guys. A pipe over axle and a love tap, fell right off. Just need to find out what type of locktite to use. Not in a big hurry now because when I took axle out and found that carrier bearings are really grinding.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

I used green Loctite but that didnt last long.Gave up on Lonestar axle and switched to moto one from Brad Oakley.

Derno24

#9 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by cannondale27
I used green Loctite but that didnt  last long.Gave up on Lonestar axle and switched to moto one from Brad Oakley.

It isn't just green. It was a specific formula. I mean heck there is about 100 different types of loctite. I picked up the loctite book and man I got lost quick. I wish I could remember the number. esides this is for an RPM axle.smile.gif